Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

"Back off, Oscar, I fucking mean it," he said lowly, letting Oscar go. Meanwhile I was trying not to laugh. I expected his name to be something tough, like Blade or some shit. Not Oscar.

"Stay out of this, man," Oscar glared back, trying to stand up to Xavier even if he was shorter and didn't have as much muscle. He might've been quick though.

"Bullying again, Oscar?" Jordan came out from behind me and stood to my left. "Really?"

"Fuck off Jordan," one of Oscar's friends said, stepping forward also. The place had got quiet, everyone listening to the argument that I was currently in the middle of.

"Look just leave her alone, alright?" Xavier said, directing it towards all of them. "You're already pissing me off, don't make it worse." His glare somehow got even scarier and more threatening.

"Whatever," Oscar scoffed. "Have fun with her," he said before he walked out, his goons following him.

I looked at my feet. "Thanks," I muttered. I noticed that Ethan and Blake had also been there the whole time, watching but saying nothing.

"Don't mention it," he said, shrugging. "He's always been a dickhead."

"Can I buy you guys something?" I asked them all. "For doing that."

Blake grinned. "YES! I'm starving."

"What yoghurts do you all want?" I asked, wondering how I was supposed to remember all of their orders.

"No yoghurt for us, can you get some ice cream?" Jordan questioned, the others seeming to all agree.

"None of you like yoghurt?"

They all shook their heads. "Okay, what ice cream do you want?"

"Bubblegum."

"Rainbow."

"Rocky road."

"Cookies and cream."

I nodded, watching them turn around and find a booth to sit in. I looked towards the girl who was still hugging her bag to her chest.

"Thank you," she said quietly.

"Are you okay?" I asked her. "Do you know them?" She seemed younger, so she might've gone to the same school. I wasn't sure.

"Yeah, I go to the same school as them. And I recognise you and those guys," she replied, putting her bag over her shoulders.

"Oh okay," I said. "If they bug you again, just..." I trailed off. "Come to me. I'll make them stop?" It sounded more like a question, but she wore a small smile anyway.

"Thanks, I'll be off," she said, waving goodbye before she left. I went to the counter, which was free from a line finally, and I managed to remember the guys' orders.

I balanced the cups of ice cream in my hands as I made my way over to them, handing them each their order. Then an awkward decision rose to the surface: should I sit with them or leave?

"Sit down," Jordan encouraged, somehow reading my mind. I rose my eyebrows and looked to the others to see if they were going to object. They didn't, but Ethan was biting his tongue. He wasn't as rude as when I first met him, but he isn't going out of his way to be friendly either. Pretty much the only time we interact is when he decides to drop his sisters off at my house, which is now a random thing since it doesn't happen every night.