chapter sixteen!

𝖉𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖗𝖊, 𝖘𝖎𝖝𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

* * *

*    *    *

* * *

( 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖌𝖎𝖗𝖑 𝖜𝖍𝖔 𝖐𝖓𝖊𝖜 𝖙𝖔𝖔 𝖒𝖚𝖈𝖍 )

Tires burning up the pavement, Scott raced his motocross bike to a stop in the school's parking lot. He yanked his helmet off just as Stiles's Jeep soared in beside him where Stiles and Elle stepped out.

"Where is she?" Elle asked.

"Over here!" The three heard Allison shout. They spotted Allison coming out of the shadows with Lydia.

"What happened?"

"I don't know. I just got here." Allison shrugged.

"Lydia?"

"It's the same thing--same as the pool. I got into my car, heading somewhere totally different, then ended up here. And you told me to call when there's a dead body."

"You found a dead body?" Stiles asked.

"Not yet."

"What do you mean not yet? You're supposed to call after you find the dead body. After." Stiles stressed.

Lydia scoffed and backed up. "Oh, no. I'm not doing that again. You find the dead body from now on."

Elle raised her hand as if she was in class. "Question: why wasn't I trying to find the dead body this time?" She was ignored by everyone but didn't fail to miss how Scott, Stiles and Allison glanced at each other quickly as if they were hiding something. Her eyes narrowed but decided now wasn't the right time to question it.

Stiles growled. "How are we supposed to find the dead body? You're the one who's always finding the dead body."

"Guys... I found the dead body." Scott looked past them to the Beacon Hills High School sign atop which Deputy Graeme lay, garrotte around her neck. Blood streamed down the stone and brick.

* * *

Jennifer Blake walked the aisle between desks as she lectures. "Idioms, analogies, metaphors and similes. All tools for the writer to tell their story." She paused at Lydia's desk, noticing her drawing a picture of a leafless tree in her notebook. "Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents."