Friend?

Kai

What the fuck am I thinking?! I'm definitely not in my right mind, my brains taking over my body right now. I'm literally bringing home a girl I just met! Being in such a bad place, mentally, is fucking up my choices... y'know what, fuck it, I'm eighteen and never seen this side of the world.

We pull up to the drive away then get out the car and into the house. No Maximus coming to greet me. It feels like a nightmare I'm waiting to be woken up from... but I can't, because this is real... I'm living this moment. Everyone's in the living room with a huge box, we walk up to them and my heart completely breaks.

They're putting everything of Maximus's stuff in a box... his toys, bed, bowls, everything... I'm not gonna get use to seeing the house cleaned up without Maximus destroying it, no I'm never ready. Austin grips onto my shoulder telling me it's okay when I know he's in a bad state too, he can't just worry about me. Mom goes to put his leash and collar in the box until I stop her.

"Can I have the collar and Austin have the leash" I avoid eye contact and just gulp as I clench my jaw. Mom nods and hands me his collar and Austin his leash. I don't wanna be here any longer, it's too heartbreaking and I-

A small pair of arms wrap around my torso, I look down to see Dragonfly hugging me with sympathy. I guess she put the pieces together and figured it out. She rubs my back then pushes off to go hug Austin whose also just staring into nothing.

"Wanna go somewhere... like get ice cream?" I look over to Austin and Dragonfly, they nod. I wave at my family then walk out of the door with my friend...s... trailing behind me. We get in the car, Austin in the passenger seat and Dragonfly in the backseat, in silence.

"Music?" Dragonfly breaks the silence by putting her phone on Bluetooth and scans through music. She gets to one song and starts singing, bloody hell fuck it. I look at Austin and he shrugs. We start to sing and damn does it feel good to shout.

"NOW YOU'RE ALONE AND CRYING, CAUSE MAGIC MIKE JUST GOT YOUR KEY, THATS HOW YOU KNOW YOU FUCKED UP!" Austin and I sing loud.

"There are my boys!" Dragonfly chuckles from the backseat... my boys... well I don't see how since we never really hung out but whatever.

We continue to sing different songs along the drive, I slowly start to calm my nerves and do my usual driving, speeding the whole way. Fuck it feels amazing to be free right now, carefree and it's because of Dragonfly. How does she do it? Two broken kids and she does one move, making us come out of our hard shells.

I pull up to the ice cream place then we get out. We have to cross this street in order to get to it since I parked on the other side so we cross it before realizing Dragonfly isn't behind me anymore. I turn around to see her patiently waiting on the other side of the street for a car to pass by, I groan and run back over to her then drag her to the other side.

"Sorry, that car was coming and I didn't know what to do" she tries to reason. Damn this girl is so pure, she apologizes for every little thing she does 'wrong'. I stare at her with my head silently tilted to the side trying to figure out how she does it... I've only grown up around rude killers, not a... little innocent girl...

"Come onnn I want some ice cream" Austin snaps me out of my stare as he begs like a little kid waiting to get their new toy. Dragonfly and I chuckle then walk into the place, getting a whiff of the amazing smell they always have lingering around.

Usually I'd get ice cream, but honestly I'm not feeling it today so I stand by like a father watching this two kids play with the ice cream machines, getting their favorite flavor. Austin gets his usual cookies and cream and Dragonfly just gets vanilla. I walk outside to get a table we can sit on while they're eating then they finally walk out and sit down.