(1) Rumours

It was unusually quiet today at Camp Half Blood. The birds sang softer and the curious waves that crashed onto the boiling sand weren't as harsh and demanding. It had taken weeks for everyone to recover from our recent wars, and those were the most silent weeks I have ever relished in from my past experience of being a demigod.

I would like to think that the creatures and seas were still grieving for the courageous yet ill-fated warriors that had sacrificed their lives for others. The first few night had been spent with Annabeth in my arms and I didn't mind one second of the warm body that comforted mine to sleep.

Hades, even the nightmares had taken mercy on me and had ceased with the horrid visions. But if not little then none.

Damn, I thought, sitting around in the library with Annabeth really did a number on me.

So I sat below the palm trees that gave me shelter from the sun, enjoying the time to look at how Long Island changed over the years. Even though it looked exactly the same from when Annabeth had remodeled and revamped it, it held a ton of memories that made me want to laugh, cry or gag.

My personal favourite being the fifth summer here. Only because I got to kiss Annabeth, though, as cheesy as that sounds. Not that I mind kissing her or anything. Hades, why would I mind? What's there to mind? The only thing I mind is tha-

"Hey, apparently there's this rumour going around about this mysterious island or something? Can you believe it?"

My head snapped towards the sound of a guy speaking. I watched as Will Solace strolled on the beach next to Nico, hand in hand, his face boring an expression of innocence and pure happiness. All previous thoughts of Annabeth flying out the window and crashing into the curb as I listened with new interest.

Nico rolled his eyes, his pale complexion making him stand out from the glare of the sun. "It's just a rumour, Will. Rumours only grow."

I fought to hide a smile as Will turned to Nico, their hands intertwined and swinging freely in between them. I should probably have the talk with him soon. "Yes, but this rumour is cool."

"Oh. So the rest aren't?"

"No! That's no- you know what? Sure, Neeks."

I watched as they both stopped directly in front of me, their shadows restricting the sun from reaching towards me. I watched in curiosity as they turned to each other, Nico's amused stare heating up Will's face as he tried desperately to explain the situation.

You see, I'm not usually a stalker of any kind; Hades, I'm usually the stalkee. But I've learned things from many years (five years is a lot, okay.) of quests and battles and one of the very noble lesson was to never give up an opportunity. And I'm sure not missing this one.

And even though Annabeth had said not to take things out of context- I'm sure she wouldn't mind, right?

"Fine." Nico crossed his arms at the blond haired boy. "Please, enlighten me on how this is rumour is so 'cool'"

"Well, Nico," Will said, stretching his name. "Legend says that there was once a guy named Cardarius, a son of Hermes. Everyone thought he was crazy-"

Why? I asked myself, frowning

"Why?" I smirked at how Nico voiced my thoughts.

"I'm getting there." He snapped. "Everyone thought he was crazy because he spoke of this island called Luferia which was guarded by an invisible barrier that shielded the island from the outside world. He claimed that "

I saw Nico frown. "And when they couldn't find the island, they deemed him crazy."

Will nodded. "Yes. And they threw him in an asylum, where he took his last breath in, because he said no one could find it even if they tried for destinies on end."

"That sounds like Ogygia." I accidentally said.

With pursed lips, I leaned onto the tree trying to act casual as they both spun on the balls of their feet with their weapons drawn.

"Sorry..." I scratched the back of my head as I tried to apologise.

"Kelp brain. Didn't anyone tell you that eavesdropping is rude?" Nico asked, putting his sword away.

I shrugged as Will continued. "I guess it is like Ogygia. Only that a dude who can light on fire is not saving a former damsel in distress."

"So how do you know this rumour then, if he is dead?" I asked.

Will shrugged. "Some people heard Chiron talking about how he wrote how to get passed the barrier which makes it invisible while he was in the asylum. He wrote them in papers but after he died, apparently someone took it and kept it."

I frowned. "Do you think she's still alive."

Nico turned sharply to me, his eyes narrowed below his dark bangs. "Whatever you're thinking, the answer is no. I promised Annabeth that you would be alive and in one piece when she comes back from Camp Jupiter."

"Oh, don't you worry about me." I shrugged, a smile tugging on my lips. "I won't do anything."

And with that, I ran away from the setting sun, the silhouette of the couple turning into a speck as I followed the familiar track of where the big house was planted. Running across the fields and demigods as they continued to spread the rumour in hush whispers and excited or disbelieving expressions.

And as I ran towards Chiron, I also remembered another valuable lesson: that curiosity killed the cat. But, again, I'm sure Annabeth won't mind me taking out of context.

-=-

So here's the first chapter of the new and improved version of The Wreck Ashore! I hope you enjoy it and shtuff :)

VOTE!