1776: Come Gentle Night

Shay

Evie and I sat at the edge of the stairs waiting for Florence, Haytham, Patrick and Jacob to arrive home. I had so much to apologise for and I wouldn't sleep tonight knowing one of my children is in pain and the other thinks I hate her, I can't sleep in peace with that weighing on my mind.

The clock rang two in the morning when the door opened. "Papa?" I looked up and saw my baby girl, my darling daughter. "I'm so sorry papa." I rushed towards her and engulfed her in a big hug, holding her tightly I cried into her brown hair, I couldn't just apologise to her, the wound I dug wouldn't be healed with the words I'm sorry.

"Oh my darling, my sweet child." Florence pulled back, smiling at me. "What happened earlier, what I said." She cut me off with a kiss on the cheek.

"I'm the one who should be apologising to you, well to everyone, I should have listened when you told me Benedict was after us all this time." I was about to say something when she cut me off once more. "Whatever you said, you didn't mean it and I deserved it, I was willing to choose Benedict over my family when my brother was badly wounded." I smiled giving her another hug. "However, I'm a little tired and in need of a bath." She paused. "How's Liam?"

"He's going to make it, he's going to pull through." I smiled, and she smiled in return. "Now everyone try and get some sleep, Jacob Clara and the kids are here, in the guest room down the back," I announced as Jacob nodded kissed his sister on her cheek and left.

"Papa, Benedict is still alive he had Florence, I couldn't do it." I opened my arms out for Patrick and he came over and I held both my children tightly in my arms.

"I don't care unless my children are safe. Don't worry Patrick, I'll get him but for now, take you and your sister upstairs and try and get some rest."

----

Florence

The night wrapped around us like a cozy blanket, filled with feelings I've hidden for too long. I couldn't sleep, thinking about Haytham. So, I followed the soft glow of a candle to his room. I wore my nightgown, knowing what might happen. I tiptoed through the house, my room wasn't too far from my parents. I reached Haytham's room on the other side of the house, hiding from my older brother, who just like me couldn't sleep. I stepped in front of his door, far too nervous to knock on, how would he approach this? I hurt him badly, I hurt him so badly.

I went across the hall into my papa's study grabbed a glass poured myself a glass of brandy, and downed it before I placed the bottle and the glass back in the same spot. With a hint of brandy in my blood, I felt a little more confident to knock on his door. I stood in front of it, hand held up an inch from his wooden door. I let out a breath before my hand connected with the wood. "Can I come in?" I asked, hoping he was awake, I didn't wait I walked in, determined to tell him how I felt.

Haytham's voice was gruff but caring. "It's 2 am, Florence. Why are you still awake?" He turns around and sees me, I blow out the candle he stood in front of the window with it opened. The wind caused his shirt to blow. "Why are you in here with nothing but a blanket?" He asked, I stepped forward, ignoring his question. He looked worried. "What are you doing here, Florence?" he asked, concerned about my reputation.

In the dim light, we looked at each other, and I spoke honestly. "I don't care about my reputation, not after Benedict," I admitted. "I made a mistake and I would be marrying someone who didn't care about me."

He understood. "Florence..." He looked down, I kept walking towards him. "You shouldn't be here." I shake my head, I'm telling him just how I truly felt about him.

I looked at him, he stood in front of me the wind blowing my thick brown hair. "You've always been there for my family," I said. "Today you asked for my hand in marriage, you told me you loved me." I paused briefly. "You also told me once I found out the truth that you'd not take me back."