"Nothing would make me more miserable than you letting me go, baby," I whispered into her hair, before peppering her face with gentle kisses.

"But you're hurting. I know you are," Mira cried, pressing her face into the crook of my neck, her tears drenching my collar bone.

"Mira, look at me." I gently tilted her chin to look up into my eyes. Using my thumb, I wiped her tears away. "I will admit that most of the people here have made it clear that I am not their friend, but I don't care. The small group of people who have accepted me make me happy enough, and there is no way in hell that I will leave you. Even if you break the Guardian Bond, I will still stay here to make sure you are safe."

"But it's not fair that you can't be happy! Why does it always have to be you suffering?"

My wolf and I felt our heart warm for our Protected. She was so selfless and caring, even if she didn't have to be. I planted a loving kiss on her forehead, cradling her in my arms. "Being your Guardian is all the happiness I need."

She wrapped her arms around my neck and held on tightly like a koala. I rubbed my hands comfortingly over her back. I looked over at Connor, who looked at me and his Mate with uncomfortable eyes, looking as though he was witnessing something he shouldn't. I extended an arm to him, pulling him into my embrace.

It took him a moment to relax, but when he did, he rested his head on my other shoulder. I wrapped my arms around both of the children, both of them clinging to me like they were terrified I'd leave.

"Please never leave, Laura," he whispered into my shoulder, his voice slightly raw, like he was holding back tears. I held them to me even tighter.

"Even though you are not my Protected, Connor, I will keep you just as safe as I keep Mira. I will forever care for the both of you, okay?" I whispered into their hair, kissing both of their temples.

We sat still for another few minutes before getting ready for school.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dropping off the kids took longer than I thought. When we had reached the school I had to reassure them both I wouldn't be leaving hem while they were in school. Then I had been encircled by Mira's classmates, all of them asking if I was going to teach them again today. I told them I would think about it only if they behaved for Ms. Sheila.

That made them all run to class to begin showing they would be good for their teacher. The only one who remained behind was Mellie, who clung to my thigh, her hands clasped together around my limb like a Swiss lock.

I patted her head. "What's wrong, Mellie? Don't you want to go to class?"

She shook her head. "I want to play. Play with me?"

I chuckled, crouching down to her height. "But how will you learn? Ms. Sheila probably prepared a lot of fun things to teach you today. You don't want to miss that, do you?"

She bit index finger, and I almost chuckled at her thinking face. She was absolutely adorable. "But can't you teach me?"

I shook my head now. "Sorry, Mellie, I'm not as smart as Ms. Sheila. But how about you come over for some lunch with Mira and Connor and you can teach me all you learnt today?"

Her eyes lit up like a bonfire. "Really?"

I nodded. "Of course, sweetie. But I'll have to ask your parents permission first. Where would I find them?"