7. Decisions

Monica's eyes fell on Jay. He was transfixed. April's head rested in his lap, and his eyes held worry and fear.

April cried herself to sleep!

Jay feared that she would never wake up. He was moving his hand softly through her hair, like a lover. He continued to look at her as if she was the answer to all his prayers.  

April tried to stand up from her place oblivious to her surroundings and the quiet conversation that just happened between her friends.

"Easy," Jay whispered. As he put his hands on her shoulder to steady her. April nodded in agreement. She slowly got up from her place with Jay's help and sat on her bed.

She rested her head on the headboard and closed her eyes.

"Now what?" Monica questioned breaking the silence.

"Now we wait," Jay deadpanned as if that was the only solution. Monica hummed in agreement.

"I cannot fathom the reason. Why would he even go there?" April questioned to no one, in particular, looking at the ceiling as if she will find her answers there. She never felt so lost, so clueless, so weak and helpless.

Her mind wandered in all the different scenarios, and none of it had a pleasant ending.

"What if he is abducted?"

" What if he was forced to do some criminal activity? "

"What if he was blackmailed?"

"What if he was murdered?"

She shook her head at the last thought but never said it out loud because that would only add to her friends worry.

"I think, there is only one way to find it." April started speaking.

"Forget it-" Jay snapped cutting her off in the mid-sentence.

" What do you mean? " April frowned at the sudden change in Jay's behaviour.

" I said whatever you are thinking too, forget it. It is not going to happen, " Jay spoke firmly.

"You don't even know what I was going to say-

" I know that is why I am telling you. It is not going to happen," He snapped.

"Can anybody tell me what is going on? What's the other way?" Monica shouted. She was tired of their bickering.

"It..it is just a thought. I am not sure either-

" Then bury that stupid thought of yours right there. I am not letting you go," He raised his voice.

"Will you let her speak?" Monica snapped. She was tired of Jay's antiques.

"If I go to....-

" No," They both spoke in unison not giving her a chance to complete her sentence.

Jay raised an eyebrow in a questioning manner and looked at Monica.  He smiled because he knew he had now Monica's support as well.

"Please, He is my brother. Don't make it difficult for me than it already is," April spoke dejectedly.

.

"Fine," They conceded.

"But-

" There's always a but," April grumbled, and Monica chuckled softly but, Jay's glare shut them up.

"If you go, we go with you," He stated. A very unsettling feeling swarmed in  April's chest even with the thought of her friends accompanying her as if someone was trying to warn her to keep them away.

"No, I can't do that to both of you. Jay, Monica, please I have to go. I promise I will be safe, but you can't come. I want to do this alone. This is what I wish. Besides, if they come here, there should be someone to inform me. Please!" She looked with small eyes and targeted Monica first as she was a sweetheart at the heart. She would agree quickly. It was Jay who was the hard-headed one.

" Umm. Okay.. I guess," Monica replied, looking unsure.

"I can't believe this," Jay spat and walked out of the room. Shutting the door very loudly making them both flinch at the noise. He was not going to let it happen. He was not going to put her in danger. He sometimes hated himself that he loved her so much. He punched the wall in anger. He needed to find a solution.

"There has to be some other way, but he will accompany her," He thought as he walked out of the door.

" Death!" 

A vapour whispered.

Authors note:-

Am I making up for all the waiting you guys had to do? Are you guys happy?

What do you think would happen now?

Let me know your views on it. Please do vote, share and comment.

Thank you,

Kshama Hasmukh Doshi.