34. Complications Part 2

Start from the beginning

"You're gonna be fine Leah, I won't let anything happen to you or our baby-"

I had to stop him from saying something that he could not guarantee.

"You can't promise that. You have no idea what to expect Leo, don't make this promise that you may not be able to keep."

He was silent. He didn't say a single word but kept his eyes on me as we walked.

"I mean it though. If anything happens to any of you two, I won't be able to live with myself," he said solemnly. I knew not to argue any further and try to get the last word in, after all, I had enough stress with the baby being in the wrong position, I didn't need another argument with Leo.

We made it to the outside of the hospital, where we had come from. It seemed to be only a twenty-minute walk from my private room. I wasn't sure if we had walked too far, in case something happened to me, but there was no way that Leo was going to be able to smoke inside of a hospital. In fact, I was sure that it was illegal to do so.

I sat down on a nearby bench whilst Leo stayed standing. I watched him light up his cigarette and inhale it within ten seconds, was he that desperate for a smoke?

"Don't give me that look, Leah, you know I've been smoking for over six years," Leo said with a sigh.

"I know that I just wish that you would try to stop..." I trailed off. The subject of Leo smoking was always touchy but no matter how many times I told him, he would never give up his habit, and I had no choice but to accept that.

We stayed outside for around ten minutes. The fresh air was doing me good and I hadn't realised how stuffy the hospital was. It made me think about the different ways I could have given birth, at home, in a water bath but due to the baby being in breech I had to be in the hospital.

I heard Leo sigh heavily and I glanced up and gave him a questioning look.

"Nothing, don't worry. It's just my sister and Theresa, I told them you're in the hospital," he explained, but I could tell that there was something he wasn't telling me. I decided that I didn't need to know, I didn't need any more stress. Whatever it was, I just hoped Leo would tell me after the baby was born.

"We should probably get back, I don't fancy having a contraction outside," I said dryly, remembering how are the pain was. There was no way to describe it but the pain was just like menstrual cramps, but more intensified.

Leo nodded his head and took me final drag from his cigarette, before throwing it to ground and stepping on it. Once he was ready he took his hand in mine and squeezed it tightly and we began the slow journey back to the hospital room.

On the way, I had hoped that I wouldn't get a contraction but I inevitably did. I couldn't stand up straight, I ended up crouching down and leaning against Leo's legs, as I waited for the forty seconds to pass.

I groaned heavily, as the thought of walking the rest of the way to the room made me stressed.

"Bella, I'll carry you," Leo chuckled and before I knew it I was in his arms, bridal style.

"Thank you," I hummed as I was grateful that Leo wasn't being totally useless.

"No need to thank me, mummy, to be," Leo smiled, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

Once we were back in the private room, Leo set me back on the bed and helped me to take off my slippers and dressing gown.

I sunk back into the pillows of the bed, wishing that I could be home in my own bed, but that wouldn't happen for a while.