scrabble | stiles

Spending every day at the hospital affected you more than you thought it would. You were there for your mom who was extremely ill but the doctors, including your favourite Nurse Melissa McCall, said they had high hopes she'd get through it.

Being there was hard as you were constantly surrounded by people crying or hearing sad news every day.

The only positive thing to come out of this experience was the boy, around your age, that was always there too. You had no idea why but he was always hanging around Nurse McCall with another boy who had, which you tried not to notice, a crooked jaw. Although they were both extremely attractive.

The boy that caught your attention had messy brown hair and the cutest little moles scattered over his face. You'd never talked to him but you'd occasionally smiled at him and he smiled back.

One particular day he was alone at the hospital and after barricading Melissa with his usual array of supernatural questions he wondered over to you as you were sat outside of your mothers room waiting to go in.

"Hey, I'm Stiles." The boy said as he sat next to you, offering a warm smile.

"Y/n." You smiled back.

"I see you here often, so I thought I'd finally introduce myself." He chuckled softly.

"Ah." You nodded.

"So," he said as he rubbed his sweaty palms against his jeans, "who are you here for?"

"My mom," you sighed, "she's ill but the doctors are adamant she'll be fine."

Stiles winced slightly, "oh, well I hope she gets better soon."

"Thanks... so why do you always hang around here with your friend? Isn't that pretty weird?" You asked.

He laughed, "yeah, I guess. That nurse," he pointed to Melissa, "is my friends mom so we come here a lot."

"Oh, that makes sense." You nodded, looking at the time on your phone.

"Yeah," he said, "so what time can you see your mom?" He asked as he noticed you sigh as you looked at the time.

"Not for another hour." You said sadly.

Stiles smiled softly, "have you eaten?"

"I'm not really hungry these days." You admitted.

He frowned, "come on, I know how to get good food here. Plus the staff know me well."

He stood up and offered you his hand, you took it gingerly and followed him to the cafe.

After talking to the woman behind the food counter he returned with two plates of tiny muffins and donuts.

"Breakfast is served." He grinned.

"Wow, they must really like you here," You laughed, staring at the sugary goodness in front of you, "thank you, Stiles."

"No problem." He smiled, immediately stuffing two mini donuts into his mouth.

When you'd both finished you ended up being persuaded by Stiles to follow him to the games room.

"I used to come here all the time when I was younger..." he said quietly as he opened the door, revealing shelves full of boxes of games.

"Really?" You asked, wondering why'd he'd come here so much.

He didn't reply for a while until he finally spoke, "my mom was ill for a really long time, but she didn't get better."

"Oh," you looked at Stiles and how sad he looked, "I'm so sorry."

"It's fine, it wasn't your fault." He shrugged before plastering a smile back onto his face.

He searched around for a while until he found what he was looking for, "ah, here it is!" He exclaimed.

Stiles pulled out a slim, rectangular box with 'Scrabble' written on the outside, "this was mine and my moms favourite to play when I'd visit her. Maybe your mom would enjoy it too?"

"That's actually her favourite game." You admitted, taking it from Stiles as he offered it to you.

He couldn't stop smiling at you as you both stood in the small room, "maybe we could play it together sometime, when your moms out of the hospital?" He asked optimistically.

"I'd love that," You smiled, before you could stop yourself you stepped forwards and kissed his cheek lightly, "thank you- I better get back to my mom, but I'll definitely take you up on your offer."

"Great... see you soon, y/n." He grinned, blushing slightly from the kiss.

***