38

nav - myself

chapter thirty eight

"dinner is served!" mom yells from downstairs.

ayana and I sit up in the messy bed that was covered with food wrappers. we both pick up all the rubbish and chuck it into my trashcan before making our way downstairs.

"mm it smells good." she hums.

we enter the kitchen where mom, diallo, lizzie and vanessa are sat around the island.

we join them at the table where the two bowls were .

I look down at the large soup bowl which had beans, peppers and a whole lot of chicken with other ingredients.

"what is it?" vanessa asks, looking towards diallo.

"chicken soup. " he answers. "I got inspiration from an old meal that my dad used to make so I hope you guys enjoy it."

we all delve into the soup and everyone was very silent at first until we all started humming and making noises for approval.

there were also a lot of slurps and sips due to the majority of it being liquid.

"this is spicy and different." mom says. "but, I love it."

"thanks miss mai." diallo grins.

"damn D, I didn't know you could throw it down in the kitchen like this." lizzie gushes.

diallo laughs at lizzie's comment.

"D?" I ponder, noticing lizzie's nickname for him.

"yeah. that's my nickname for him." she grins.

"seems everyone's best friends with diallo now, huh?" I snicker.

"someone's jealous." vanessa comments.

I roll my eyes. "no one is jealous of anything."

"sure." mom, lizzie and vanessa both say in unison.

my eyes widen at how my own family had joined forces against me.

"don't worry atleast I got ayana." I grin. ayana laughs and continues slurping and chewing.

"it's cool though. your family are cool people." diallo speaks.

"they're so not cool."

"hater." lizzie murmurs.

"so diallo, does your father always teach you how to cook ?" mom asks.

she shouldn't have asked that.

diallo stops eating and stares into space.

mom looks at me for help and I shake my head slowly, letting her know that she shouldn't have asked that.

"i'm sorry, I didn't know it was a touchy subject." she quickly apologises.

diallo comes back to earth and shakes his head. "no, no, it's fine miss mai. yeah.. he taught me how to cook. so, most of my talent in this criteria comes from him."