34

che ecru - luckily

chapter thirty four

"happy birthday!" everyone cheers as mom and I walk downstairs.

I quickly leave her side so everyone can hug and kiss her.

"how cute." ayana says, watching as my family pours out love onto mom.

"I know right."

"my family don't ever show love like this. this is mad sweet." quan grins.

"aw quan." I pout.

he brushes me off and puts back on his mean mug, trying to act all hard but we weren't fools. we knew he was a big softie.

music starts playing from the backyard which immediately catches everyone's attention.

"oh, this is my jam." mom says, swaying side to side as chaka khan's voice travels inside the house.

everyone laughs and makes their way through the kitchen and out into the backyard.

vanessa was by the speakers , on a lawn chair, feeling very proud of her music choice since mom seemed to like it.

trey and montana rush straight to the the cupcakes , being the little kids they are .

"wow girls, ya'll put in a lot of effort." mom gushes, smiling from ear to ear.

"of course momma. " lizzie says, pulling mom into a hug.

"you're welcome." I grin.

she goes over to the stall where there were more treats and nibbles on a cake pop.

"everything is nice and pink." she laughs.

"yeah, that was lizzie's idea." vanessa mentions.

mom finishes her cake pop and joins in a conversation with whitney and dawn. all three of them sit down around the glass dining table and my instincts kicked in.

I decided to make them each a plate full of food so that they could snack and talk at the same time.

that was until I noticed that we only had little treats, no actual food was made.

that was one thing we missed out on.

my phone rings and I answer.

"hey, it's enais. diallo and I are right around the corner. sorry if we're a bit late."

"it's fine. everyone's here though." I respond.

"oh cool. we're just stopping at that soul food place real quick because diallo is complaining that he's hungry." she sighs.

I hear fumbling until enais' voice is replaced with diallo's.

"yeah, ryan don't listen to her. the reason we're so late is because she was doing her hair and makeup for nearly two hours and still looks the same." he explains.