I feel a warm hand grip my right hand.

"It'll be alright." it's the same woman from before. I recognize her voice.

She sniffs again.

"I'll stay by your side until you get better."

I can hear her start sobbing.

More footsteps.

"Is she okay?" Ben asks. I remember his voice.

"The doctor says she's in a coma." the woman says - I think they call her Jen, I remember hearing that from earlier.

"Oh, wow. I hope she heals fast."

"Me, too."

"I wonder where her parents are."

"I don't know," Jen sniffs. "She might be hiding from someone."

"Like a runaway?"

I get so mad at his remark. How can he jump to conclusions? I wish, I wish how I could react. All I can do I move my index finger, barely an inch.

Jen gasps. "Did you see that?"

"See what?" Another voice tunes in - I think they call him Blaine.

"Her-her finger just moved!"

"Jen, I think you're hallucinating." Ben says.

"No, no I saw it. I swear!"

"Okay, Jen. Whatever you say."

I can just feel them staring at me, examining me, like a dead body.

But I'm not dead! I'm in a coma.

That's insane!

"Visiting hours are over. But I'll give you a few more minutes with her."

"Thank you," Jen replies. "Sweetie, I'll be back tomorrow. I don't know if you can hear me, but I'll talk to you. So you can feel less... alone."

Then she left along with the others.

My mind was spiraling with questions and thoughts.

First of all, I'm in a coma. A COMA!

Second of all, I can't respond to anything, no matter how much I tried.

Also, who is Jen, Ben and Blaine?

How long am I going to be this way?

That lady - Jen - is really nice. Her words are so soothing to me. It's like she actually cares.

Someone actually cares about me.

I'm happy. Even though I can't express it, my heart is happy.

A complete stranger cares about me.

It feels really nice.

The wires bother me. I want them off and I want to be free.

I want to have a family.

I want to express my emotions. Not being trapped. Not feeling trapped. It's bad enough doctors have to take care of me like this.

* * *

Today I was given a sponge bath. It felt so nice being scrubbed clean. It'd be even nicer if I could do it myself.

One of the nurses talks to me, as if I can actually respond.

"I'm engaged, you know. I met Dave at the grocery store when I dropped my pile of groceries. After that we kept seeing each other more and more. Later on we went on dates, spent the holidays together and it went on from there. He's such a nice man. He's a business owner. I love him so much."

I wish I could tell her, "Congrats, I hope and wish the best for you."

But I can't.

I'm trapped for who knows how long and there's nothing I can do about it.

Am I going crazy?

Drowning myself in my own thoughts.

I hear footsteps and I think a doctor enters.

"Nurse, I'm going to need you to place the catheter on her now."

"Sure thing, Doc."

What's a catheter?

Oh.

Never mind.

What's it for?

I guess I'll have to find out.

* * *

I know it took 23 (that how old Jennifer is) chapters to bring them involved. I didn't want to rush things.