Chapter 9

I woke up at 8 and got ready for the hospital. For some reason, I was excited to go to the hospital. I mean this could seriously change my life forever.

I got downstairs and nobody was there.

Vicki's phone was sitting on the counter. It started to buzz, and a name popped up. "Anthony? Who's Anthony?" But I looked away before I could look at the text message said.

"Ready?" My dad asked.

"Ready than I'll ever be." I replied.

We got to the hospital at around 8:55, and walked in. We waited in the lobby until the secretary called my name. I wheeled into the doctors office, and I sat in my chair, next to a table.

"I'm going to lift you onto that table, okay?"

"Okay."

He lifted me onto the table, and started asking me questions.

"When did the movement of your legs start?"

"When I dropped the milk carton on it. After that it was just tiny fractions of movement I could do on my own." I replied. He took out a rubber hammer, and hit it against my knee cap. My leg jerked in a kicking motion. He did it to my other leg, and the same thing happened.

"Okay, um, I'm going to run a few tests on you. Could you move your legs up and down?"

I did as he told me to, like I have been for the past week.

"I'm going to take a blood test. This will determine if your leg has regained feeling." The test results will be back shortly." He injected me with a needle and blood rushed up the small tube.

I'm going to take this to the lab and you'll get your test results shortly." The doctor walked out with a pint of my blood.

I waited for about 10 minutes, and the doctor came back in. He was looking at a pile of papers.

"This is interesting. Wow."

"What? What is it?"

"Well. You have regained feeling in one of your legs. But the other is indefinite."

One?

"But, I can move both of them, see?" I flopped one leg up, and it plopped back down. But my other leg wouldn't budge. I kept trying and trying, it wouldn't move.

"What the heck?"

"Come back in about a month, okay? I'll try to figure out what's going on. But please, Jasmine. Don't get your hopes up."

~

"Wait, so you can only move one leg?" My dad asked, as we sat in the car. "But you could move both of them at the house."

"I know dad, but I really don't want to talk about it. He told me not to get my hopes up." Tears were welling in my eyes, and I was biting my nails.

"Hey, everything's going to be okay."

My dad sighed, he touched my shoulder, but I jerked it off.

"Yeah? What if it's not? I just want to be normal!" I said, letting the years fall.

"Your still normal, Jasmine. You just can't walk. It's like I don't like baseball, but I'm still normal. You still like puppies, but you just can't walk."

The car ride home was silent.

~

As I got ready for school on Friday, my phone buzzed. Parker's name popped up with a message.