Chapter 1

3 YEARS LATER

"Jazzy! Come play with me!" Josh yelled, sitting in his bedroom. Workers filled my mothers house, packing away boxes and taking them to the moving truck. I walked-wheeled in Josh's room and found boxes piled high. Josh was sitting there with his action figures scattered around him.

"Josh, c'mon, we have to pack up your toys and go to daddy's house." I replied, very frustrated.

"No. I don't wanna."

"Jesus Josh. Let's go!"

"No."

"Yes!"

"No!" Josh started screaming, and my father ran in. I was still disgusted by his appearance.

"What's going on?" He sighed. He he thought he had gotten my respect, he would never get that. "Nothing, I got it." I snapped.

"Josh. Listen! I'll play with you when we go back to daddy's! Okay?" I spun around and faced Josh.

He had a confused look on his face."Jazzy, I want to play now." The accident happened three years ago, and we still haven't gotten all the shit out of my mothers house.

Ignoring Josh, I told my father, "Stall him, I'm going to finish packing." I turned my chair and wheeled out.

-

"Jazzy! Will you play now?" Josh came running into my room, which was filled with boxes. "Not now Josh. I need to finish unpacking." I rolled my eyes. "Besides you need to go to bed. It's almost 9." Josh walked out, looking sad. I sighed. That kid always wanted to play. He didn't have any friends. He was almost 5, and about to start kindergarten.

Just as I was wheeling to the bathroom, Vicki, the skank, stopped me. "Jasmine, could I grab something before you go in?" She asked. I was honestly so sick of her. "Whatever." I muttered. Of course Vicki took forever to get out of there. She finally walked out, but with nothing in her hands. Her eyes were bloodshot. "What the hell skank?" I muttered. I wheeled into the bathroom.

My alarm went off at 6:30. It was my first day of school. High school. Before I was in that stupid accident, I loved performing on stage, I had friends, I had a life. These past three years have been like hell. Everyone left me.

I lifted myself out of bed and into my chair. The maid, Veronica, helped me get dressed. She was the only one who actually cared about me. "Are you excited?" She asked. "High school? Yes. For everyone to make fun of me? No." I pulled on my lace up boots and wheeled down the hallway.

"Jasmine! Come here RIGHT NOW!" My dad yelled. My dad usually never yelled at me. When he did it was usually because I didn't put away my plate at dinner or didn't pick up my shoes.

"What do you want dad?" I yelled, wheeling down the ramp.

"What the hell is this?" He said, pointing to a bottle of Ibuprofen.

"Uh, ibuprofen?"

"Think again." Dad replied, opening the bottle. He revealed a small thin plastic bag with green leaves in it.

"What the hell is that?" I shouted. I don't smoke. Anything.

"You tell me." he snapped.

"You really think that's mine?"

"No. But I know it's not mine."

"It's not mine dad!" I protested. "I swear!"

Then I think back to last night, when Vicki came out of the bathroom with bloodshot eyes.!

"I know who's it is." I spoke.

"Who's." My father said blankly, not even looking at me.

"Your not going to believe me." I said, wheeling up to him.

"Who's is it?" He said again, more sternly this time.

"Vicki's." I mumbled.

My dad sighed heavily. "Really Jasmine? You going to stoop that low? I didn't know you hated her that much. It's been 13 years. Get over it." He clamped his hand over his mouth after he realized what he said.

"Get over it? Excuse me? I'm paralyzed from the waste down! My mother is DEAD."

"I'm sorry J. Really I shouldn't have said that. But it's not Vicki's." He said, his cheeks red from embarrassment.

"I'm leaving. I have school." I grabbed my bag off the table, wheeled off the ramp and out the door.

JOSHS POV

I am really tired of Jazzy and daddy fighting all the time. I wish mommy was here. She would know what to do. I heard a knock at my door. "Joshy, time to get up. You're going to be late for school." Daddy said, staring at me through the darkness.

"I know. I am already up."

"Sorry bud. I just needed to talk to her, and she got mad." He chuckled nervously. I knew daddy wasn't telling me the whole truth, but I went along with it.

"Oh." I sighed.

"C'mon. Get ready." He flipped on the light switch and light filled my room, causing me to squint my eyes just too see.

I got out of bed and got dressed. I was about to go to the bathroom and brush my teeth, but Vicki walked in there, so I decided to wait in the hallway. She was in there for a while, and she started to cough. "Are you okay?" I asked. I needed to brush my teeth.

"Go use my bathroom Josh." Vicki said, coughing in between words.

"My toothbrush isn't in there."

Vicki finally opened the door and walked out, squeezing my shoulder as she did so, like she needed help standing up. Her eyes were red. She put something in her eyes to make the red go away. I walked In the bathroom confused, and brushed my teeth.

I wheeled down the handicapped ramp and into the grand hall. It was filled with high schoolers of all sizes. When I wheeled in, all conversations stopped, and everyone's eyes were on me. Did I mention I was going to new school? I bet you the jackasses didn't even know what handicapped was.

Ignoring the stares, the whispers, and the constant pointing, I went to my locker. I punched in the combination. The locker next to mine belonged to a boy. He had short blonde hair, and bright blue eyes. He was wearing baggy sweats and a green skin-tight shirt.

He was cute, really cute.

Apparently I had been staring for a really long time, because his first words to me were "What the hell you staring at, wheels?" He moaned. I rolled my eyes, thinking he wasn't cute anymore, grabbed my textbooks and went to geometry.