Definition of Normal

Prologue: "Mom , I really don't think you should be driving." I said, snatching the keys from her.

"Shreally?" Mom slurred her words, stumbling to grab the keys from me. "Your 13, you can't drive, you dumb fuck." She got a hold of the keys and tried to grab them. I started pulling, making sure I got the keys instead of her.

Then she slapped me. "GIVE ME THE GOD DAMN KEYS JASMINE!" She yelled. Tears streaming down my face, I let go. My hands were red from pulling, and my face was left bare with this burning sensation.

Knowing I was going to die, I jumped in the car. My mother swayed as she walked, and got into the drivers seat. She couldn't even get the keys into the slot.

She Finally got them in, and started driving. We did fine until we got to the intersection. "Mom, red light ahead." She payed no attention to me. Her head slumped to the side, her eyes drifting shut. "Mom! Wake up!" I shook her, she didn't budge. I screamed until we got to the intersection.

-

I was in the hospital, having no memory of why I was there. I looked down at my hands, cuts and bruises took up of what was left of my skin. My flesh was covered by bandages. "Hello? Is anyone going to tell me why I'm here?" I yelled, obviously confused. "Where is my mother?"

After waiting for what felt like a lifetime, a doctor walked in, with a strange man behind him. "Jasmine? I'm very sorry to tell you, but your mother has passed." The doctor said.

I sighed, "I tried so hard to tell her not to drive." I was shaking with guilt. "This is all my fault. It's my fault she's dead." I sighed again. "No, it's not. It's mine." The strange man spoke up. Who was he? What did he have to do with my mothers death?

"Jasmine, uh, this is your father." The doctor stepped back, revealing the man behind him more clearly. He had dark blue eyes, like mine. Dark blonde hair, like mine, and the same pointy nose, like mine. I had never met my father, and wasn't planning on it either. "I don't want anything to do with him." I snapped. He walked out on my mother to be with some skimpy 25 year old. "J, just hear me out, okay? I have to explain." He said.

The doctor walked out, leaving nothing but the cold air between my father and I. "I'm really sorry J." he said, rocking back and fourth on his feet. "That's all you have to say? 10 freaking years of no contact what so ever?" I yelled, anger filled my body. "You were the best thing that ever happened to me, then you left to be with some skank." I don't care if I was only 2. He still was my bestfriend. "J, she's not a skank. Let me talk." My dad replied, fiddling with his fingers. "Really? I'm done. I don't want anything to do with you. Get out." I snapped. Tears builded up in my eyes, but I blinked them away.

"That's the thing, J. Your mother and I had a custody agreement was that if one of us died, the other parent got you and your brother." he let out a nervous chuckle, like he thought this was funny.

"For gods sake, really mom?" I looked up at the sky, like she was up there. We all knew were she really was. "Leave." I pointed to the door. Dad obeyed me, and stepped out the door.

Few minutes later, a nurse walked in. I still didn't know what was wrong with me, why I was here. I felt fine. "No one has told me what happened to me or my mother." I spoke, facing the nurse. She sighed, and spoke "Your mother fell asleep at the wheel. She ran a red light, and two cars were coming in opposite directions. They slammed onto either sides of the car, and sent your car flipping into the air. Your mother was ejected from the vehicle, and died instantly. You, however, were wearing your seatbelt. But, you are paralyzed from the waste down." She mumbled the last part.

"Wh-what?" I burst into tears. Oh my god. Paralyzed? The word shut me down. I felt so alone. "Where's my dad, and my brother Josh?" I asked her, getting more scared by the second. "I'll go get them." She said. My father and brother walked in. Josh was four. "Jazzy!" He yelled, his eyes puffy and red. He wrapped his arms around me, it shot pain through my body. "Ow." I mumbled. He quickly let go. "Sowwey, Jazzy!" he apologized. He hugged me again, more gentle this time. I hugged back. I missed him. "That's daddy!" He pointed to dad. He jumped off me, and ran up to my dad and wrapped his arms around him. Dad hugged back.

I glared at him. He was taking advantage of Josh. Josh thought he was the perfect dad. When really, he was a jackass. The doctor walked in. "You can go home today. We just need to teach you the fundamentals of your wheelchair." He sighed. I was really paralyzed. Oh my god. I can't believe this.

A few hours later I wheeled myself out of the hospital. "Cars over there." Dad yelled pointing to the blue Mercedes. "That's your car?" Josh said. He was sitting on my lap, waiting for dad to unlock it. He jumped off me and climbed in the back seat. How the hell am i supposed to do this? I wondered.

Dad lifted me out of my chair, and into the backseat of the car. He folded up the chair and stuck it in the trunk. "Okay." He sighed as he got in the car. "Seatbelt's." I buckled up Josh and I buckled myself up too.

It took a good 30 minutes to get where dad lived. He lived in a gated neighborhood. Was my dad a rich prick? "What do you do for a living?" I asked. It took a second for him to reply. "I'm a lawyer." "What's the skank do?" I chuckled. "J.." He sighed, "She's a doctor." He replied. Ooh. A slutty nurse! Good going dad! I thought.

We pulled up to his house. I wasn't ready for this. My life is about to change. Forever.