Mr. Parker shook Jordan but there was no awareness in her eyes, which were locked in nightmares. Mr. Parker dragged her off the dirt road to a stream and dumped her in a bed of flowers. Her feet splashed into the water, shocking her into stillness. She thought the water would be freezing but like the weather it was warm and soothing. Her chest heaved and she tried to restrain the panic that wanted to envelop her. The stream was wide but if you took a running jump you could reach the other side and beyond the stream were more endless fields. 

“I’m not going to hurt you,” Mr. Parker growled and paced beside her. “You’re under my protection now.”

She didn’t believe him. He crouched beside her and grabbed her chin, which was becoming a habit of his.

“This is my property. No one is allowed without my permission. You understand?”

The stream tugged her shoes off her feet and carried them off but she didn’t care. They were too big anyway.

Mr. Parker’s eyes bored into hers. “I’m powerful. Do you believe that?”

Jordan nodded. Mr. Parker possessed the same feral quality that crept beneath the surface as William. 

“I make you this promise- you will not come to any harm under my roof. I swear it.”

Jordan stared into her father’s eyes and felt his will pressing in around her. Maybe he didn’t want her but he wouldn’t make a vow unless he meant it. His hand tightened ever so slightly and she nodded again. 

“No running, no hysteria. Let’s get to the house before it gets dark.” 

Jordan rose and Mr. Parker’s eyes flicked down to her bare feet. She walked on the springy grass beside the dirt road and saw Heath waiting patiently before an open iron gate with a large P on the front. The gate wasn’t connected to a fence because on either side of the gate was the river. Anybody wanting to continue had to pass through the gate, there was no alternative. Heath reversed the truck onto the grass so she could get in without walking on the road. She clambered into the back seat and neither man said a thing as they continued on.  

The stream ran on either side of the dirt road lined by trees and flowers. For several minutes a cloud of dirt obscured her view and then she felt the truck rumble onto smooth concrete. Heath revved the engine again as the sun sent its last rays across the sky. A long driveway lined with tall trees led to a beautiful home made of dark wood and tinted glass. Wide front steps led up to a wraparound porch where a woman stood waiting. On the left side of the house was a rectangular building, which turned out to be a garage. The door rose as they approached and she caught a glimpse of ten cars before Mr. Parker tugged her out of the truck towards the house.

The woman standing at the top of the steps was dressed in white capris and a light pink shirt with her hair pulled back in a ponytail. She was in her mid-thirties or so with brown eyes and freckles sprinkled over her nose. She and Jordan were the same height, around five feet one. 

“This is Jordan,” Mr. Parker said and walked into the house, leaving Jordan at the bottom of the steps.  

The woman took in Jordan’s dirty clothes and shoeless state and looked to Heath for an explanation. Heath looked extremely uncomfortable and rubbed the back of his neck with one hand. 

“I’m Kelly,” the woman said, breaking the awkward silence. 

The silence stretched and Jordan’s stomach churned as she suspected what position Kelly had in this house. She remembered Heath mentioning Kelly in the jet and she wanted to back away but she couldn’t move. Heath cleared his throat and rocked back on his work boots.