New (Not Improved)

--Jack--

"Have you got everything you need? Backpack? Phone? Headphones? Binders?" My mom asked as I groaned in annoyance. She did this every year, and every year it was always the same. Me telling her not to worry so much because I was growing up, but she still did it anyway. She loves me, I know. I just get embarrassed when she does this. However, I was the baby of the family so I don't really have a choice but to take this constant pampering.

"Mom." I scolded. She ignored me and rambled on.

"Have you got your umbrella?" She asked me.

"You have your brain? Or have you found it yet?" My brother chuckled playfully. I rolled my eyes at him and chuckled, allowing him to lighten up my mood slightly.

"Do you have your phone charger, Seán?" She asked me. I almost wanted to jump out the kitchen window and run down the street into oncoming traffic. This babying was getting quite annoying.

"Mom! I'm a big boy, okay? A teenager. I've got this!" I told her. She sighed in response.

"I just worry about you a lot. I'm a mom. It's my job to make sure my kids are prepared." She said, putting my SnapBack straight on my head. I growled and turned it backwards, causing her to narrow her eyes at me.

It was my first day of year ten and my whole family was on top of it. I didn't see the big deal. It was a day that ended my summer of wild escapades and shenanigans. Another day closer to an office job in a cubicle or running a machine in a factory somewhere. Every second was closer to me living on nine dollars an hour, working nine to five, with a dead end job I hated; I didn't like that at all.

"Come on. Don't be so negative about this year. It'll be fun!" She says to me.

"You say that every year. Nothing ever changes! Every year is even worse than the one before." I tell her.

"Because you're approaching it negatively! You're thinking it's going to be terrible so you don't expect anything." She said.

"The less I expect, the less disappointed I am." I mumbled. It was true. I didn't need to expect anything at all in life. Lower your expectations, children, then you'll truly be happy. That's what they teach us, isn't it?

My mom ignored my statement and brought me into a hug. I hesitantly hugged her back, knowing what was going to happen next. She pulled back from the hug all teary eyed, not opposed to what I expected from her.

"Ah. You've grown so much. Where did time go?" She asked.

"Apparently the same place our agreement goes. Out the fuckin' window." I mutter quietly, but she still heard.

"Quit cursing, young man." She scolds. "Mom! I'm 16." I reminded her. She narrowed her eyes at me. This was always going to be a constant war between us.

"Just don't let me catch you again." She said. I rolled my eyes as she turned around.

I grabbed my money off the table. Ten dollars for coffee and hot lunch. My brother smiled at me as my mom sauntered into the kitchen to make herself a cup of coffee. I returned the comforting gesture back, even though I wasn't sure about all of this. Even though I knew I was going into this whole thing blind, with no guide, and no idea of what I was doing. I returned it, even though I was uncertain.

I picked up my green hand-me-down Quicksilver skateboard from the corner before Malcolm stopped me.

"Um, you do realize I can just drive you to school." He told me and I nodded.