Chapter 6

HAKEEM HAD SHOWN ME his favorite spot behind the school during our free period class that was the last class for the day, informing me that it was better than the library 'cause no one knew of it, not even the 'pack he runs with

HAKEEM HAD SHOWN ME his favorite spot behind the school during our free period class that was the last class for the day, informing me that it was better than the library 'cause no one knew of it, not even the 'pack he runs with.'

Ironic huh?

According to Hakeem, everyone abandoned that particular area, so it was pretty much a secretive spot. Why'd he shown his spot to me? I have no idea 'cause I never asked.

There was a huge wall that never got finished with several stumps and a log long enough for three people to sit on it. Near the log was a tree big enough to provide shade from the sun.

"You're not going on that bus anymore," Malik murmured matter-of-factly as he fell in step with me after school. All it took was a week to get accustomed to Malik's bluntness so I ignored him, but he decided to block me and a few others that were behind me.

"Move or there won't be any space left you dimwitted blocker."

He rolled his eyes far enough to get them stuck, staring at me as if I was a retard, and slowly said what he told me next. "Exactly. That's why you can get a ride with us from now on."

"Who's driving?" I asked, still deciding to follow him anyhow. Malik and the others were so diverse in personality, style, and ethics yet I couldn't imagine hanging with any other group in this school.

Besides not one but two girls in my group of friends was definitely something new for me. I mean girls are way too dramatic and petty for my liking, but I guess I needed the change.

"Too many questions," he sighed, rubbing his temple.

"Just answer me."

"When I said us, I actually meant Hakeem. I ride solo." He stopped in front of a green and silver mustang that I never really noticed. Everyone was there except Lola and when I turned around, Malik was nowhere to be found.

Uh ok? I thought before taking a seat next to Bre who was way too busy playing candy crush. "Where's the golden couple?"

Hakeem thrust the key into the ignition, bringing the car to life. The sound was loud enough to spike my adrenaline up a notch just by sitting there. "Basketball practice. Lola's there to support him. You know the typical girlfriend role and shit."

I nodded like I knew exactly what he was talking about.

Josiah was never into sports, or anything social for that matter. Even our dates were rather private. Every single last one. I should've noticed that something was up with that dude, but like they say love blinds you.

Or was it love at all?

Love is always the blame for someone's stupidity. I was stupid enough to look for attention in all the wrong ways.