Chapter 2

FINDING MY CLASS was hard, so I wasted the last twenty minutes listening to music

FINDING MY CLASS was hard, so I wasted the last twenty minutes listening to music. I sat on a blue bench under a large Oakland tree that was directly in the center of Palm High with my music fully blasted. Lost and deep into Where are you by Justin Bieber, someone decided to interrupt me, tapping me back into reality.

Hands on my shoulder did nothing but leave me scared stiff. The realization of this overwhelmed me because it dawned on me that now I was overthinking everything.

EVERYTHING bothered me.

A minute or so into chanting to myself that it was all my head, I took off my headphones.

The interrupter was a chin cleft girl with a smile that was way too wide. Pink lipstick adorned her lips, matching her pink hair that loosely fell over her shoulders. Other than the pink, everything that she wore was black even her biker glove on her left hand and her painted fingernails.

She looked like she came straight outta berry burst ice cream oreo commercial.

"Are you new?" she questioned, her voice raspy.

"No, I'm just visiting this school until my parents decide they want to move again," I shrugged, shoving my Samsung Galaxy in the pocket of my joggers. "I'm Ray."

"Oh my gosh! You have the same name with the MVP on the basketball team," she squeaked. "Don't worry. Eventually, you'll meet him. I'm Kat, by the way. Why not make your visit worthwhile? Wanna be friends?"

The last time someone randomly asked me to be friends with them outta the blue was in kindergarten, but we moved the next week and that was more than ten years ago. This was high school, nobody did that anymore.

"You've got to be kidding me," I blurted, gritting my teeth.

Her gigantic grin dropped quicker than the time it took Brittney Spears and Jason Alexander to get divorced.

"Maybe I am. Forget it," she mumbled, walking away.

This was my chance to start fresh, yet I was too busy ruining it before it even started.

"Kat," I called out to which she stopped in her tracks but didn't turn around. "My bad—-I really wasn't expecting that."

This time she turned around, staring at me without saying a word. Her anger then vanished and she was laughing.

Is everyone around here this weird?

"I completely understand. That's what kindergarteners say, but guess what? They always most likely turn out to be very good friends."

"I wouldn't know," I mumbled softly, pushing my hands in my pockets and rocked on my heels.

I don't know why I felt awkward but I did. I was never good at making new friends because from my experience they never did any good.