Chapter 43: Flasback Pt. 2 (First Race) (It's a Lemon)

(A/n) Time for part 2. Another long chapter. There will be the citrus scent of a lemon in here, so be on the lookout for these cuties 🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋 I know it won't be with Tracer, but I feel like the story needs it, and I haven't done one in a while, so I'm a bit overdue for one. Plus Lena is dating a woman at the time of this chapter, so it can't be with her at this time. Also, play the song above during the race for the full experience XD

The two of you rev your engines as you wait for the guy in the middle to start the race. He raises one arm on Eli's side and he revs his engine, signaling he's ready. The guy raises his other arm and you rev your engine. He keeps his arms raised for a couple more seconds and brings them down in a fast motion.

You push the gas pedal and peel out of the garage as you and Eli turn right onto Van Ness Avenue. A certain part of it is closed off for the street races, so there's no oncoming traffic. You are neck and neck with Eli at the start of it. Engines echoing into the night. First corner approaches. You downshift and brake. You're still neck and neck with Eli, Mustang and Jaguar battling it out.

You're a bit nervous still, but most of your nerves are gone. It's just you and the car. Your hands are either on the wheel or on the gearshift. Your eyes are focused only on the road, as you turn through the streets of San Francisco. Ignore all distractions. You're in con- hey look. Buy one get one free at Taco Bell. What the hell (y/n)! Stay focused!

Eli has you in the turns, and soon he edges out past you. You shake your head and focus harder, if that was even possible. You reach Market street and turn left onto it. This was a long straightaway, and it would take you back to Van Ness Avenue. Your foot was like a paperweight on the gas pedal in this part of the race. You pushed a button on your steering wheel where the nitrous was, causing your car to get a boost in acceleration. The city lights are nothing but blurry lines as you accelerate down Market street.

You catch up to Eli and pass him. He uses his first and second charge of nitrous. You smirk to yourself since he used his second charge too soon according to what your uncle told you. You use your second charge at the right time. You catch up to the Jaguar and start to pass it. His car may be better in the turns, but yours is better on the straight lines. It was a muscle car, after all.

You're ahead as you make another left onto Van Ness. It's about half a mile back to the parking garage where you started, and the finish line is at the top of that. The two powerful engines harmonize with each other as you speed down Van Ness. Shops are a blur as you speed past them. If you wanted to read a sign you couldn't. You were going so fast.

All of a sudden, you're hit by Eli and start to spin around. What a coward! He can't believe he'll win, so he hits your car by the end of the race? As you spin out, Eli laughs and starts to slow down. He was getting cocky.

Fortunately, you're quick at thinking. You slam the brakes and turn the wheel so your car can be stable again. However you're backwards. Doesn't matter. You put the car in reverse and back up as fast as you can. You see Eli's car getting bigger in your vision. His cockiness was going to cost him. You'll never forget his face when he saw you catch up to him. Backwards. He looks at you with shock. You smirk and wink at him. You pull up the e brake for less than a second and turn the car around in a one-eighty. Once straight again, you use your final charge of nitrous.

Eli sees that you did it and uses his final charge in hopes to pass you. He does, but overshoots the garage. You turn into it just fine. You look in your rear view mirrors and see his Jaguar as a small little speck as you turn the corner to head up the first ramp. It's smooth sailing from here. You go up a couple more levels until you reach the top one. The crowd at the finish line goes wild as you drift to a stop. You get out of the car and raise a fist in celebration.