Chapter 31: Date Night

Timeskip Two Weeks Later
You were in the gym working out with Reinhardt, Roadhog, and Zarya. Roadhog didn't seem like the type of guy to work out, but he said he still needs to. He just doesn't do as much, as seen by his appearance. The guy also doesn't take off his mask, either.

"Your friend Junkrat. He seems to like it here, hanging out with several agents." Zarya says.

Roadhog puts down his barbell and grunts.

"Yeah. I suppose so. Back in Australia a long time ago, rebels like me attacked an omnium due to the loss of our homes. One thing led to another and the core of the omnium exploded, leading to a wasteland. Jamison must've been pretty young then. I feel a bit responsible that he and countless others can't live normal lives because of the explosion. I guess it's nice to see him happy, even though we're just partners. He hired me to be his bodyguard."

The rest of you stopped working out and listened to Roadhog's story of his past. He talked about what he did before rebelling and how afterward, no one really cared who he was until he put on the mask. You were silent and in thought afterwards. After he finished, Zarya gave him a good ol pat on the back.

"You know, you should talk more. You're pretty good at it." You say.

Roadhog just grunts and you couldn't tell his expression behind the mask, but you though he might be smiling. You then grab your things and bid farewell to the tanks. You then walked outside to get to the residential area.

The New York base was located on an island by the UN headquarters. It was in the middle of the east river, giving you a nice view of either Manhattan or Queens along the water depending on where you were and you could see the Queensboro bridge in the distance. To get to Manhattan or Queens, you would take an automated boat to the place.

You stopped and took a long look at Manhattan. There were hundreds of buildings along the skyline as the sun reflected along the water and buildings. Some buildings looked brand new, with smooth outlines, like the remodeled UN. Others had a sort of older styling, like the Empire State Building. It may have had several things happen to it during the omnic crisis, but they decided to keep its old style. You took a deep breath and continued your walk back.

You reached your room and opened up the door. You put your things down and look around your room. Lena and (d/n) aren't in the living room. That's odd. She said they would be home when you called her.

Out of the corner of your ear, you hear some water splashing and Lena talking in her voice that she uses sometimes when talking to (d/n). You smile to yourself and knock on the bathroom door. The Brit opens it and kisses you on the cheek.

"Hey (y/n). Sorry we're not where I told you we'd be when you returned. I just had to give (d/n) a bath. She decided that she wanted to wear her cereal when I was feeding her, grabbing the bowl and having it spill all over herself."

You laugh. "Still having a bit of trouble getting her to transition to some more solid foods?"

Lena sighs and nods. (D/n) starts to babble and splash the water with her arms. Lena returns to the bathtub side and continues to clean (d/n) and talk to you.

"Her clothes weren't the only ones spoiled. Some got on my shirt I was wearing, meaning I'm going to have to do laundry again." She says.

"All part of raising a child, I guess. Anything else happen while I was in Queens and working out?" You ask.

"Yes. (D/n) got another vaccine from Angela today. Of course that meant I had to deal with a crying child then. Can't blame her. I'm not fond of needles, too. Then (d/n) took a nap and I talked with Lúcio, Hana, and Junkrat for a bit. After that, brought (d/n) home, watched a bit of TV, fed her, and here we are."