xxii

rose;
i can feel his hot breath against my neck as he unties the sweater i had wrapped around my eyes. my vision takes a while to adjust to the light, but i soon see the reason why we're here. the small (yet large) bulldog laying in front of me is the cutest thing i've ever seen. he must've remembered i said that bulldogs are my favorite dog, although cats are my one true love. "jack oh my god!" i smile as i pet the animal, hearing the sound of a photo being taken. "i just thought i'd bring you to come see a bulldog. there were no cat shelters anywhere near here, so the dog shelter was the next best thing." he smiles as high heels can be heard clicking down the aisle. a lady soon appears and opens the gate, getting ready to take the dog. "today's his last day, we're giving him special treatment." she says, also explaining how no one would adopt him. i begin panicking, and in the spur of the moment i offer a deal. "i'll take him, for however cheap you'll sell." i smile, causing both jack and the lady to look at me weird.

so, we settled on it. $250 for the bulldog that i'm naming grunt. sure, i've always wanted a cat, but brooklyn's allergic. "so, i'm guessing there won't be a movie tonight?" jack asks as we walk out of the dog shelter, grunt on his leash. "not unless you wanna come watch a movie at my place?" i respond as i get in the drivers seat and letting grunt sit on the floor of the car below jack in the passenger side. he seems to think for a while until i start up the car. "what if we went back to my house? i always seem to go to yours." he smiles, petting the dog below him. i nod in agreement before driving off to petsmart to get some dog supplies.