vi

"why don't you guys just stay the night, it's already like 10:00."

brook says, hopingly. she looks at daniel, stars in her eyes. i can tell she likes him, but we just met these boys. i don't want her getting hurt. "uh yeah, sure. why not." jonah says, the boys nodding along. a smile is instantly put on brooklyns face. "alright. now let's bring these groceries in." she says, grabbing two bags in each hand and walking away. the boys grab onto about 4-6 each, leaving none left for me. i run over to jack, who's carrying six bags. i offer to carry three of them, but he refuses and says, "no no no, i've got it. it's okay." i roll my eyes, but stop trying.

walking into the apartment, the boys set the groceries down. we all walk into the living room and sit on the couch. "alright, what do ya'll wanna do?" brook asks us, earning a shrug from all the boys. i stand up and walk towards the tv, looking through the shelves on the tv stand for movies. "we could watch a movie?" i suggest, grabbing about six movies- two disney, two rom-com, and two horror (which are my brothers). i don't even know why i grabbed the horror movies, it's just for some options. "lets see, we have lilo and stitch, moana, the switch, sex and the city, the purge, and ouija- origin of evil." i say, looking at the title of each movie- secretly hoping  they won't pick a scary movie. "i wanna watch ouija or the purge!" zach says excitedly, earning nods from everyone else. i sigh, butterflies in my stomach. "okay, but we have to watch lilo and stitch right after." i say, pointing at them and they all agree. i hand brooklyn the movie, and walk towards the boys. "alright, who's gonna help me make popcorn?" i ask, looking at the five boys in front of me. no one moves, they just look at eachother before jack groans and stands up, following me into the kitchen. "grab the popcorn maker out of the cupboard down there, i'll get the kernels and the butter." i say, pointing to a specific cupboard before turning around and looking in the pantry. i grab the popcorn kernels out of the pantry and the butter out of the fridge, then walking to another cupboard to grab a measuring cup to melt the butter in. it was on the second shelf of the cupboard, and me being 5'3"- i couldn't reach it. i see jacks arm reach for the measuring cup, grabbing it easily and handing it to me. nodding a thank you, i put a stick and a half of butter in the measuring cup and then putting it in the microwave, setting it for a minute and thirty seconds. i sigh, opening the popcorn machine and then sit on the island next to it, waiting for the time to hurry up. jack is leaning against the counter across from me, his arms folded over his chest. "i hope you know i'm probably going to scream bloody murder." i laugh, looking at him. he smiles a bit, looking down. "i'm sure you'll be fine." he says, unaware of my speeding heart rate. "i don't think you understand. last time i watched a scary movie, i had nightmares for three days." i say seriously, my eyes filled with genuine fear for this movie. "well, i'll be right here." he smiles right as the microwave stops and beeps, screaming at us to take the butter out.