Chapter 13

I made my way towards Ms. Roman's classroom after saying goodbye to Jess.

Just as I went to turn the corner to go down the stairs, I ran right into someone.

"Oh, shit! I'm sorry!" I said quickly bending down to pick up their things. As I looked up, a quick smile grew on my face.

"Hey." She said to me casually.

"Hey, Lauren." Dragging out the n. "Here's your things, sorry for crashing into you." I continued.

"Oh it's no problem, you can just make it up to me by carrying my things to my car after school." She said with a cheeky smile.

"Id like that." I said blushing. I could feel the warmth rising to my cheeks watching her lips part and come together as she talked.

"Really?" She asked me shockingly.

But I reassured her by smiling and saying, "Really."

"Oh, uh, okay! I'm headed to Science so do you maybe just want to meet me outside of his room?"

"Yeah that's fine by me. I gotta go before I'm late for detention! I'll see you after though." I answered with a smile feeling my cheeks warm up again.

She laughed in response, "Okay, see you later." And she started walking away.

I looked back at her over my shoulder, and to my surprise, she was looking back at me too. Making me completely embarrassed and rushing down the stairs to Ms. Roman's room.

When I got to the bottom, I noticed she was already standing at her door waiting for me.

"Welcome to detention." She said smiling, but with authority still in her voice.

I let out a quick laugh and said, "Yeah, thanks."

As I walked into the classroom, I noticed I was the only one with detention today.

I tried not to stare, but as Ms. Roman followed in behind me, she shut the door and went straight to her desk.

"So basically, you can work on any homework you have, read, draw, whatever you want besides play on your phone." She informed me.

I decided to pull out a book that I had in my back pack and began reading. But after about 5 minutes, I heard her heels clicking as she approached my desk.

"What can I do for you?" I looked up smiling and asked.

"It's actually about the drawing you did in class today. I just wanted to know what caused you to draw it, like what's the story or meaning behind it?" She asked as she set my sketch of my camera onto my desk.

"There's a lot behind it, honestly." I said shyly, not knowing if I wanted to let down my walls yet.

She looked at me with pleading eyes and asked, "Do you mind telling me?" As she pulled up a chair and sat down next to me.

How could I say no to her? She was genuinely interested in my picture and wanted to know more.

I started, "Well this drawing is actually a sketch of my camera that I have at my apartment."

She looked deep into my eyes like she was truly listening and feigned to find out more so I continued as I stared into her eyes, trying not to get lost, "Long story short, it was my fathers. He was a photographer and it's the only thing I have left to remind me of him." I sighed.

Knowing that wasn't what she was expecting, I watched her take it all in.

"Did your father-"

"He was murdered." I said blankly as I cut her off.