III: xi: Tea Buddy

The Three Broomsticks was rather packed with Hogwarts and Beauxbatons students, Durmstrang preferring Hog's Head. The warm atmosphere was wholly inviting, and the food and drink was very good according to its patrons. What wasn't to like, especially on such a cold day in Hogsmeade?

Chantelle and Aurum decided they needed a girls day out away from their male friends and the worries of the world. So, they sat in the mock-pub, sipping away at butterbeers.

"I can't believe you actually fell for my brother. He's a huge jerk, you know." Aurum chuckled.

Chantelle tittered and looked away. "Oh, well, he's a charmer and I'm sure he means well. Plus, can't forget the looks." she winked.

"Yeah, I wish I could see my crush that way. It's hard because I still like him, like I get butterflies in my stomach when he's around, but he's been acting so—" Aurum struggled to find the words. "—full of himself. That's where it all stems back to."

"He's only fourteen. He'll grow and learn." Chantelle assured her.

"Argentum didn't." Aurum took a slight jab at her brother, but all in good fun. It got a laugh from Chantelle. "So how is everything at Beauxbatons? Is my favorite professor still there?" Aurum asked.

"No, Professor Creme quit because his wife was terminally ill and he wanted to be there for her. He lost her recently." Chantelle sighed heavily, thinking of the man. "I don't believe he's coming back." she opined.

Aurum thought back to Professor Creme, his peach-colored hair, and erect figure. He was soft-spoken, but confident in his work. He passionately loved potionmaking, but had a softer romance burning for his dearly beloved Aquila. The blonde didn't know how to feel about this turn of events. Creme always made her feel like she was at home in Beauxbatons like Chantelle. He was so young, too. It was certainly unfortunate.

"Well, what about Madame Maxime? She's fine, right? I've seen her around." Aurum took a sip of butterbeer, awaiting an answer.

"Yes, yes. Madame Maxime is doing quite splendid. She doesn't really get out much however. See, we've had a bit of a scare with one of our students. You remember Nell, don't you?" Chantelle sighed.

"Oh yes, Nell was in my year. I remember him. I considered him one of my good friends, but he kept calling me 'wolf scum', and at the time I had no idea why. I suppose everybody knew of my lycanthropy except me." Aurum giggled. Werewolves, centaurs, and much more were actually very accepted in France compared to other countries. "He was... odd." Aurum smiled small at the memory of the boy with lime hair and amber eyes.

"Nell was a follower of Grindewald, if you recall. Do you remember when we caught him in the potions chambers all those times? He was trying to create the Draught of Living Death. He planned on assassinating Madame Maxime and taking her place. He was going to lead Beauxbatons into war against the other wizarding schools and eventually, the world." Chantelle explained.

The two became cut up in laughter. What a joke! Nell Neman trying to assassinate someone! Of course, it was no secret he admired Grindewald's views and often did try to do dastardly things, but his success rate was so poor it was almost non-existing.

"In all seriousness, there was an attempt and he did kill someone with the Killing Curse. We sent him to Inferdere immediately. He's only in for twenty years of rehabilitation." Chantelle informed Aurum.

"Merlin's beard, I can't believe he turned out that way. I hope he's able to reform. We did like to hang out with him sometimes, if you remember. He could be nice when he wanted to, but he still insisted on calling me names and firing small pea curses at me when I did something he didn't like." Aurum reminisced into her butterbeer.

Aurum, Chantelle, and Nell were a trio that weren't seen as often as just the first two, but more often than not had more fun. They'd go exploring the castle, even the places forbidden, talking at the fountain, swimming in the fountain when no one was looking, roaming the gardens, and taking some things from it for themselves. Nell initiated the bad things with Aurum going along with him and Chantelle trying to stay out of it but finding herself roped in. Detention was more than occasional for the three despite Chantelle being a prefect.

"We had good times without him, too. Though, to be fair, he is how we met." Chantelle mused.

"Yes, whenever we had broken into Professor Creme's potion closet and tried to create a batch of amortentia in the girl's bathroom. I remember." Aurum laughed. "You came down to get us, but found yourself unable to report us because our potion was so strong."

"He made me date him for like, a week. He was such a kid." Chantelle rolled her eyes nostalgically. She sipped her butterbeer thoughtfully. "I just hate that he was so violent that he committed murder."

"Better than my brother." Aurum made the aside.

"Not really. Kind of the same, except I don't expect your brother to do anything horrible like Nell."

Aurum clasped her hands around Chantelle's. "I hope you guys stick together. I'd love for you to be my sister."

"As do I, Aurum. I can't wait to see you more."

Argentum strolled past them towards the counter of the Three Broomsticks. Chantelle took the camera around her neck and took a picture of his backside, smiling mischievously. The girls sat and watched Aurum's brother as his cheery gait typically meant he was up to something foolish. That, or he was drunk, and he had no qualms about breaking the law on that one.

"Hi, welcome to the Three Broomsticks, home of the Butterbeer, may I take your order?" the cashier asked. The blonde looked like a Hogwarts sixth year perhaps working part-time. He was tall and had dark circles under his eyes.

"Do you have any liquor?" Argentum asked the cashier.

"Yes, but I need proof of age." the cashier responded in a dead-pan. He didn't seem to be fond of his job.

"I don't have any of that." Argentum mumbled, twiddling his thumbs.

"Sir, I can't serve you if you don't have proof of age."

Argentum leaned down with shifting eyes, pressing his hands on the counter like a pleading child though he was very clearly leaning over it. He whispered, "What if I told you I'm the King of Rats?"

"Please leave, sir." the man wasn't even fazed.

"Augamente!" A stream of water shot behind the cashier from Argentum's wand. "Now you have to serve me!"

"No I don't, please leave the pub." the cashier asked again.

Aurum and Chantelle burst with laughter as Argentum stormed out of the Three Broomsticks.

"I need a man like that!" Aurum joked, referring to the cashier.

He overheard and said in his dead-pan tone, "I'm available during my lunch break and after one in the morning. I can't take days off, I'm all out of vacation days. I spent them working overtime."

Aurum nodded and turned back to Chantelle. "Please take me back to Beauxbatons with you."