I: vii: Quarterblood

"I can't wait to play quidditch! I've been dreaming of it since I was small!" Aurum tittered. "Especially a chaser! I did want to be a seeker, but I'm glad I got on the team."

"Really? I always knew I'd play. I bet I'll be the best seeker in all the United Kingdom by the time I'm a seventh year." Draco smirked, holding his broom to his chest defensively.

"You could very well be. Shame there were no spots for Greg or Vincent on the team. I know they'll cheer us on though," Aurum said. She had been hanging out with Draco more often now since Greg hung out with him. Rarely did she actually get to hold a conversation with him though. Draco didn't offer the time. She got the feeling he at least appreciated her company though due to how much he dogged the other boys in intelligence and eloquence levels.

"Yes, yes. If Goyle can find his way to the stadium without us, that is." Draco rolled his eyes.

"He's not blind, Draco. I'm sure he knows where everything is," Aurum said hotly. "He's smarter than our give him credit for."

"You're right, Creste. He may not be Dr. Jekyll, but he does have his wits about him. I think he'll be fine, then."

"Stop calling me 'Creste', I have a name you know."

"I do know, but I respect your honesty and loyalty so much so that I call you by your last name. It's only formal."

"I understand that, but I do prefer Aurum or Aura."

"Goyle calls you 'Aura', I wouldn't want to take that from him."

"Too special?"

"Yes," Draco said, stopping. "Perhaps Tiffany, then?" He resumed again.

Aurum blushed and shoved Draco. "No, no! That's so embarrassing!"

"Creste it is!" Draco howled with laughter, as did Aurum.

The group of quidditch players soon stopped. Another group approached draped in red and gold. Those were the colors of Gryffindor, their biggest rival. And lo and behold, there was Harry Potter with his friends by his side. Aurum blushed and his behind Draco who held his arm out defensively.

"Malfoy! You prat! What are you doing here?" Harry shouted, practically running towards the stationary blonde.

"I should ask the same of you. Slytherin has the field for practice today." Draco squinted.

"No, Gryffindor has it." Oliver Wood, the captain of the Gryffindor quidditch team announced loudly. He produced the Gryffindor schedule from his pants pocket.

"I'm afraid it must have been a typo because Slytherin has it, Wood." Marcus Flint, captain of the Slytherin quidditch team took the Slytherin schedule from beneath his robes.

As it appeared the schedules both had the same day, Marcus and Oliver made for dueling over it.

"What does it matter who gets to play? I think this is stupid." Hermione commented, crossing her arms.

"Who cares what you think? You filthy little mudblood." Draco sneered.

Hermione and Ronald gasped, extremely taken aback by Draco's language. Aurum took offense to it much more than they, however. She took her hand and slapped the blonde across the face with it. A pink palm was left on his cheek when she was done with him. He was shocked she had the nerve.

"You're my friend, Draco, but I don't appreciate you calling anybody anything that derogatory." Aurum growled, her eyes shining a peculiar yellow tinge.

"Why do you care? It's not like you're..." Draco's eyes widened and he put together the pieces. "You're a mudblood too, aren't you?"

"My father was a squib, and my mother was a muggle-born. Our blood makes no difference." Aurum shook her head. She knew Draco wouldn't have accepted this.