I: v: A Shoulder to Lean On

Quarter moonlight shone through the window installed in the train compartment. Its white beams touched Aurum's golden hair softly.

Her head fell lightly into Gregory's arms, and her body daintily rested in his lap. She looked up at his smile and retuned the expression. At least they hadn't passed out on each other like Draco and Vincent had.

"' Wonder if Draco and I will stay friends. I mean, he's pureblooded, I'm quarter; he's normal, I'm a werewolf; and he likes apples, but I like oranges." Aurum rattled off their differences. Gregory chuckled at the last one.

"He is fond of his Granny Smiths." Gregory noted.

They were silent for a beat.

"I'm so tired of waiting to get there." Aurum relaxed her head back into the nook of Gregory's arms.

"Same, honestly," he said, looking out of the window. "I'm really glad you're here."

"I am too." Aurum yawned and stretched. "I can't wait to hang out after school. I brought my wolfsbane." she giggled. She stopped when she realized Gregory held a grimace. "Greg... I know I just told you about my disease but..."

"No, no. It's not that—I already knew anyway— I'm excited, but that's not what I'm thinking about." Gregory sighed. He had gotten Aurum's attention. "Draco and Vince are great and all," he looked over at the two sleeping on each other, "but they're elitist."

"Geez, Greg. I didn't know you had that kind of vocabulary." Aurum snickered.

"That's my point, Aura. They treat me like I'm a dumb ape who can't possibly even begin to understand their schemes and dialogue." Gregory tilted his head back on the wall. "To everyone else, I'm the dumber dummy following Malfoy."

"Why can't they see how witty and funny you can be like I can?" Aurum squinted.

"I know there's a lot of stereotyping with people having muggle blood, but there's a lot you haven't heard that you're going to hear at Hogwarts to deal with pureblooded families. Especially Slytherin ones. In fact, you might get these yourself. Others just assume all Slytherins are pureblooded. Most people—even some elite purebloods—think there's a lot of in-breeding to keep the bloodlines pure." Gregory began to choke up. He was biting back tears hard. "But it's not true. It might be true for some, but it's not true here."

Aurum turned over and hugged her friend. "I don't think you're dumb."

"Thanks. I just wish everyone else thought that." Gregory murmured.

"Woah!"

Aurum and Gregory rose up quickly as if a shot had been fired at them. Draco and Vincent were now snickering.

"Moving a little quickly, aren't you?" Malfoy laughed. "I'm not sure if he'd even know how to get it in."

Aurum brought her knees to her chin. Gregory blushed hotly and crossed his arms and legs.

"I'm excited for this year, aren't you?" Draco yawned to Vincent who yawned back in response.

"I'm not sure about this. Is it a good school, do you think? I rather liked Beauxbatons and I'm not sure if this will be better. I heard bad things happen here every year," Aurum said.

"Yes, well, there was a troll in the dungeon last year and Professor Quirell was working with the Dark Lord. Also, I had to go into the Forbidden Forests with all the werewolves." Draco shuddered. "But we made it out alright as you can see. Strange and exciting things happen all the time even outside Hogwarts. My life would be rather boring like a slice of life novel without the school."

"Yes, I suppose so." Aurum nodded.

"Oh! This is like turning another page in a fairytale! This year is sure to be a page-turner like reading the Snow Queen all over again!" Draco gleamed to the brim with excitedness. "With you by my side especially, Creste. So glad to have you on board."

"Glad to be here, Draco."