forty

"well, why did he take her?" i said.

"because, well. me and your dad are always on the phone talking, about you of course, and eddie's been getting jealous. he thinks that something's going on." she said.

"did you tell him that nothing was going on?" demi asked. mom nodded. "i tried to, but he said he's gotten tired of it. he got up, took maddie, and left." mom said.

"i always knew he was a dick." i said. demi laughed and mom gave us a serious look.

"can't you go to court and get maddie back?" demi asked standing up. mom shook her head no.

"it's not as easy as that. you see, when we married, we signed a contract that if we were to ever divorce, then he would have the choice to decide whether or not he wants me to see the kid." she said.

"but, you're not divorced." i said. mom sighed. but she nodded her head. "he wants one." she said.

we sat there in silence for a while until we decided to go out to dinner. i wasn't feeling as hungry.

we went to a restaurant that i wasn't too familiar with, but demi and mom seemed to love it.

"i'll have your chicken parmesan." demi said smiling at the waiter. "and for you?" he said looking at me.

i quickly scanned the menu as i saw demi glaring at me. "i'll take the sa-" i began, but demi coughed.

"she'll take what i'm having." she said again smiling.

"so, gabriela. your birthday is in a few days. sixteen, wow." mom said smiling while drinking her drink.

"yeah." i said.

"i know you said that you didn't want a big party, but please." demi said begging me.

i don't really like parties that much.

"no. i told you i didn't want a party." i growled. they both looked sad. which only made me sad.

the waitress came over with the food and my eyes widened at the amount sitting on the plate

"fuck." i said under my breath. mom gave me a death stare. i threw up my hand as in saying 'my bad'.

i played around with the chicken, and mom seemed to notice. "is everything okay?" she asked.

i nodded and smiled.

"it's just that, before you came... i ate a lot of junk food." i said holding my stomach. demi coughed.

she had a look on her face. the 'can we tell her?' look. i violently shook my head no and began to eat some food.

i was almost half way done when mom held my hand and placed my fork down. "don't force it." she said.

i nodded and excused myself.

i went to the bathroom and as soon as i tried to go in the stall i heard the door open behind me.

"what are you doing?" demi said.

"i'm taking a piss." i said.

"okay, pee." she said looking at her nails standing outside of the bathroom door.

i became frustrated, turned around and left the bathroom with rage. i came back to mom and she looked startled.

"that was quick." she said laughing.

demi came back down and looked angry. she gave me a raised eyebrow. even mom looked scared.

"is there something going on?" mom asked suspiciously.

i shook my head no and demi still looked pissed. she doesn't like lying to mom.

they finished their food and we exited the restaurant and went out to the car. alyssa texted me.

come over.

i hesitated. "demi, can you take me to alyssa's house?" i asked. mom turned around and looked at me.

"don't you think it's a bit too late for that?" she asked. i shook my head no and she laughed.

i reached her house and hopped out of the car. it looked like there was only one room light on.

i knocked on the door and a large man with glasses came to the door. he smiled at me and invited me in.

"come up here." i heard alyssa yell.

i followed her voice up to the room with the light. she smiled as she saw me.

"hi. sorry for texting you so late." she said. i smiled, "no problem, what's up?" i asked.

she sat up in her bed and told me to sit down. i sat down and laid back, grabbing a pillow.

"please, sit up." she said. i could tell that she was nervous, because her voice was shaking. i sat up.

"so, for a while now i've been wanting to tell you something. i've always been the type of person to say this up front, because i don't want you to get comfortable with this friendship and then leave me when you find out." she said. i just nodded.

"i'm lesbian." she said. i laughed.

"what are you laughing for?" she said. she looked hurt which made me stop.

"no, don't be hurt. i didn't mean to offend you. i'm just laughing because, why would i care?" i said.

she smiled.

i leaned in. "so, tell me." i said secretive. "anyone you like?" i said backing up giggling.

"uh, actually yeah. she's really nice, and very pretty too. i can't say her name right now, but i hope there's going to be something between us in the future." she said smiling biting her lip.

i playfully hit her.

"so, you? anyone you like?" she asked.

i shook my head no. "i hate people." i said with a blank face and then shortly after i laughed.

"truth or dare." alyssa said out of no where.

"dare." i said.

"i dare you to run down the street in only a bra and underwear." she said giggling.

i laughed. okay, she just came out to me, and is- never mind. i'm just going to do the dare.

i took off my clothes, and went outside. i started at the corner of the street and held up my arms and ran down the street.

i was laughing and running. as i was running back towards her house, i saw car lights. the car honked the horn as loud as it could.

i covered myself and held my mouth open.

the car stopped, and an angry mom stepped out. "gabriela gonzalez!" she gasped.

i looked at alyssa who had her hand covering her mouth, and sprinted towards her and into the house.

i'm in some trouble.

--------

a/n- oh, it's about to get real interesting real soon.

remember da-. whoops.