The Game of Love Chapter 42

En başından başla

At the corner by the gym’s double doors, Leila was being held tightly by Luke, his deadly green eyes scanning the entire gym, warding off anyone else who dared to mess with his girlfriend. As I stared at the couple, the only thought that could form in my head was: Oh my God, they’re so cute together… I let out a sigh, “Aw…” At that, Leon, whose attention was focused on Mitch Riles—a close…acquaintance at the very least—was now shifted to me.

I didn’t have to say anything to get him to understand what I was aww-ing about. He brought his face to where mine was, looking in the same direction as me. After getting a clear understanding, he turned to me and rolled his eyes teasingly as he pulled up a smirk. “And I thought you weren’t so big on romantic-y stuff.”

I turned my head slowly to him and gave a light shove to his shoulder. “Shut up,” I chuckled.

Mitch, who was just sitting at our table, held an amused expression. “You two are so adorable,” he chirped, “just get married already!” Leon and I laughed.

Leon leaned back in his chair, hands behind his head. “Nah…I think I’m going wait a few more years until I’m sure she’s the one for me,” he said coolly, his eyes distant. I poked his rib and he jerked at my touch, stifling a sound that was between a laugh and a shriek. “What was that for?!”

Suppressing a girlish giggle, I answered flatly, “Stop trying to act all Mr. Cool. It’s lame.” He frowned; I returned with a smile, tugging at his arm.

“I thought we both agreed that I’m cool?”

I rolled my eyes, a trace of laughter on my lips. “Since when have I ever agreed to anything of the sort?” I inquired with a raised brow. He scowled again, but I shook my head and continued, “Just don’t pull a move like that ever again. It doesn’t suit you.” And just when I least expected it, he tweaked my nose. I scrunched up my face as he had done so. “What the?” asked I. In reply, he put up a wide grin.

“Adorable.” That’s what I heard Mitch say under his breath with awe. Leon and I both turned to him. “You two are so perfect for each other.” I rolled my eyes teasingly. “I just don’t get how you two used to hate each other.”

Leon corrected, “I didn’t hate her. She hated me.”

Mitch waved a hand dismissively. “Whatever… Still, how did you end up loving him, Sarah?”

I never really thought of that before. How exactly did I end up loving him? Back then I was so set on sending him straight to hell so he can rot. Back then I hated him so and his very presence had always irritated me. Back then he was also the number one person I feared—I was afraid of what he’d do to me in return for me getting him expelled eight years ago. And back then, I held a grudge so unhealthy towards him that, every nice thing he ever did to me, had me believing that it’s all a scam—fake.

When did it start? When did I ever start feeling like I suddenly wanted him—had an interest in him? And most of all…why? What made me fall for him? What made me fall for my childhood bully, the number one person I hate[d] in the world?

Before coherent thoughts could come to mind, Leon’s voice broke my thoughts as he held onto my hand. “Hey, Sarah?” he called out to me. I blinked a few times before letting reality sink in.

“I’m sorry, what?” I asked, turning to Mitch.

“How’d you end up falling for Leon?” he repeated.

“I…” I began, trailing off. Scratching the back of my head awkwardly, I said uncertainly, “I’m not so sure actually…”

“Okay…” he began slowly. “Why do you love him?” I took a moment to let that question sink in and let the memories flood my mind.