The Game of Love Chapter 24

Leon:

When I woke up, I was taken aback entirely. I was in my temporary room in Sarah’s house. What was I doing? Since when did I get back here? My memory was hazy, but all I could fathom is this unbearable hangover I have. “Ugh…” I groaned bothered with the sunlight that’s hit straight to my eyes. I smack the pillow to my face, but it wasn’t until the room fell completely silent that I heard breathing that wasn’t my own.

Reluctantly taking off the pillow that’s suffocating me; I turn my head to the side to find Sarah, head and arms resting on my bed as she sat on a chair next to me. What was she doing here? Seriously, what the hell happened? All I remember is heading to Jessica Lane’s party…and drinking to get her and Seth out of my mind. Oh God…what did I do? I was drunk…I could’ve done anything…

Still, I shake those thoughts away, not wanting to mull over them until Sarah’s awake. And judging by the look on her sleeping face, she’s had a stressful night—it’s best for her to sleep it away. Why is she by my side? Again, I dismissed those answers.

The position Sarah was in bothered me; so doing my absolute best not to wake her up, I hold her up before setting her back down on the bed. In doing so, I pulled to covers up to her chest, and the look on her face as she sleeps is so damn cute. I had to resist the urge to kiss her since she has a boyfriend. For now though, I stroke her silky blonde hair before I head downstairs.

Sarah:

“Leon…” I murmured before realizing my consciousness to the world. Once I open my eyes, I didn’t expect to see myself lying on Leon’s bed. Frantic—worrying over what might’ve happened with him being drunk and me asleep—I examined myself, relieved to see I still have my clothes on. Seriously though, where is he?

I checked the time to see that it’s nine in the morning. Slipping out of bed, I head downstairs to get myself some breakfast. Once I’m in the kitchen, I find a sweaty—and shirtless—Leon once again. Deciding not to start having a fit over how he’s half-dressed, I ignore it and pull out some Apple Jacks. What surprised me is his hand snatching away my box of cereal and placing it back on the shelf. Somewhat glaring at him, I muttered threateningly, “I’m not in the mood for games.”

“Nor am I,” he rumbled in a low voice. He means business. “I’ll make you a deal…I’ll go through the trouble of cooking breakfast if you tell me what happened last night.”

Before I could consider this, I ask, “You don’t remember?”

“You expect me to remember when I was that drunk?” he snapped. “I have a fucking hangover!”

I sighed. “Look, if you have a hangover, then I’ll cook”—

“No. Just answer my question,” he demanded. Leon’s so…bipolar. First he complains he has a hangover, now he’s saying he’ll manage. What the hell?

“It’s not like it’s anything serious,” I answered carelessly, taking a seat on the island as I watch Leon cook us some bacon, eggs, toast, and pancakes. “Hey…I didn’t know you cook.”

“Well it’s sort of my job at home,” he mumbled angrily. “Stop evading my question, Sarah. I don’t care if it wasn’t that serious, though you expression while you were asleep said otherwise. I just want to know.”

Heaving a sigh of slight irritation, I answered him, “I can tell that you remember going to Jessica’s part and getting drunk…to forget me. I don’t think you remember calling me in the dead of night to pick you up.” Leon shook his head and I continued, “When I got there, you got yourself so drunk…it was sickening. We had a…fight… It was about…your issues and why your waste yourself away. You were furious with me, telling me that, other than your parents, I was causing your insanity; you hate me for it.”

“I didn’t tell you anything about my family, did I?” he asked, and I could sense the panic in his voice. When I shook my head, he let out a sigh of relief.

“Why won’t you tell me?” I asked desperately.

“It’s nothing you should concern yourself with, now continue on with what happened!” he demanded, his irritation evident on his face.

I pursed my lips, trying not to argue with him as I went on, “You said I always kill you on the inside… You seemed…broken…I wanted to help, but you kept pushing me away…and…” I took a moment to gather my thoughts, hesitant to finish this last part. “You said you…you said you love me…” Leon’s head immediately shot up to meet my gaze.

Leon:

Shit. I said too much when I was drunk. Sarah was never supposed to get this deep into my thoughts. Damn alcohol. All those things I said…they were never meant for her to know…yet.

Fuck. I can’t believe I told her that I love her. How was I going to respond to this? I mean, I was drunk, so I could…but then again, my lie would only hurt her. No…maybe it’ll get this burden off of her if she thought that I didn’t love her.

So when she asked, “Leon…do you…love me…?” I reply flatly:

“No…it was the alcohol, stupid…”

God, I feel like a damn bastard…

Sarah:

I should’ve known…

I so knew it…

Such an idiot I am…

Why did I have to believe it? Of course it was the alcohol! Yet why…why is it that his response hurt me in the worst way possible? Why was my heart aching so damn badly? Why did I want to cry in response to his answer? Why was I so damn heartbroken?

Still, I kept a straight face, pretending that I wasn’t affected. “I thought so,” was all I could muster before heading out the kitchen.

However, just as I’m right at the doorframe, Leon asked, “Why were you beside me?”

Not daring to look him in the eye, I reply in a low voice, “You told me not to leave you. And I promised you that I’ll never leave you…”

Soon after, I rushed up the stairs and cried my heart out for a reason I couldn’t fathom myself…