Cats and Dogs| Part 2

Hey Peeps, I apologize for not updating in like a thousand years but yaaay heres an update. Ill have another Update for y'all tomorrow...I'm on vacation so hopefully I'll be able to post a couple more chapters before I have to go home and work:)

Previous: "I wasn't always a monster..."

Derek took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He needed Jess to trust him with every ounce of his very soul. Honestly, Derek didn't think this was what having a mate was like. His soul seemed to be pulling in a thousand different directions. He needed to grow his pack and he needed to lead but then there was Jess. He desperately wanted her to stand by his side but if she thought he only wanted her for the power he would lead alone as long as Jess was a part of his life. 

"When the fire happened..." Derek started

Jess shook her head and gripped the sheets underneath of herself, "You don't have to do this Derek". 

She cringed thinking about the old Hale house and the burnt smell it had left on her clothing the last time she had been there. 

Derek jerked out and grabbed her hands. 

"But I do have to do this. You don't understand! Everything that I have done has been to protect the people I love"

The room fell silent as Jess' breath quickened. 

"I love you Jess. Every part of my being loves you. It is in my nature to love you. You are my mate."

At the sound of Derek saying "mate", Jess felt her heart lurch. 

She could feel it too, the feelings she had tried so hard to suppress. She knew she wouldn't be able to push him away for much longer. 

Derek ran a hand through his hair and his eyebrows furrowed in frustration. 

She felt a twinge of remorse. She made him incredibly frustrated. She had been the one to run away from him and she had been the one to push him away for all of this time. 

"I want you to be a part of my pack not because it is convenient for me or makes me stronger. I want you to be in my pack because I want the woman I love to stand by my side. I want to protect you in the best way I know how. I want you, Jess." 

Derek watched Jess bow her head and he could see her eyes getting glassy. Maybe he had gotten through to her? 

"Jess", he said putting her hands up to his lips and kissing them. 

She lifted her head slightly and looked at him in admiration for the first time. 

"Jess, I'm sorry...I'm sorry that you're a werewolf. I'm sorry that I killed Peter. I'm sorry I'm a monster. Help me..." he said putting her hands on his face, "Be my mate, show me how to be better. I will try, Jess. Please...I can't lose another person". 

He watched as Jess held back tears. Every word he had said had been the truth. He really did need and want her. 

"I can't lose another person either", Jess said thinking back to Sheriff Stilinski knocking on her front door to let her know her parents were no longer with her. 

Jess let out a sob she didn't know she was holding in. 

Instantly Derek's arms were around her and he pulled her in close. Warmth filled Derek's body as he held Jess tight. This was what he wanted. He let her stay in his arms for as long as she needed and when she was done crying she pulled away slightly to look up at him. 

"Derek?" She called softly. 

He made a soft hum noise that rattled his chest. 

"I will stand by you. I accept you as my mate." 

Derek looked down at her and tried to hide his smile. 

"I will help you...As long as you agree to stand by me."

Derek felt giddy. He could hardly contain his joy. He reach out and grabbed her face pulling it towards his. 

Their lips connected softly. Jess was hesitant at first and rigid but almost immediately softened once Derek pulled her close. 

Jess smiled slightly as Derek brushed his thumb delicately across her cheek. 

She felt genuinely happy for the first time in a long time. She let herself melt into him and for once fully accept him. This was her mate. She could feel it in her heart and in her soul. They fit perfectly together and she felt instantly warm from his touch. 

Maybe this could work out after all.