Everyone Hates Kate

Previous: "Leave Scott", Derek warned for the last time as he felt the muscles in his face start to crack.

"No"

Derek wasted no time in charging at Scott. He couldn't fight the urge to put Scott back in his place even though he knew he should have been focusing on his mate sleeping upstairs. 

Maybe if Derek had been paying attention to his surroundings and not fighting Scott he would have noticed there were other people on his property. 

Maybe he would have noticed that hunters were surrounding the Hale house and were waiting for the right moment to strike. 

If Derek hadn't been so preoccupied maybe he would have seen that Kate Argent was watching for a weakness...Maybe he wouldn't have been caught by Kate. 

Jess opened her eyes and was surprised to find herself in the old Hale House. It took her some time to remember why she was there. She was a werewolf. She remembered Derek telling her before she fell asleep. She shook her head slightly as if shaking the thoughts from her mind. Her hand flew to her stomach as she sat up in bed. There was no pain and she remembered Derek telling her it would be healed soon. She didn't think he meant that soon. Jess looked around the room to find that Derek was no where to be found. She frowned deeply. Jess got up from the bed and mad her way around the house. 

She could hear the steady drip of a faucet downstairs and a faint heartbeat of what sounded like Derek. She wondered why he hadn't stayed with her. Jess made her way down the stairs and through the house following the sound of his steady heartbeat. When she made it into the living room a smell halted her mission. Someone else had been here...recently. There were different scents mixed in the living room and it gave her a panicked feeling in the pit of her stomach. She didn't like this at all. She needed to find Derek. 

Derek closed his eyes and listened closely as he heard footsteps. Jess. Kate had just left and Derek's body was thankful. He had been tortured for so long he didn't even know how long he'd been hanging on the cold basement wall. He knew he would heal but it didn't mean his body didn't hurt like hell. He felt a surge of energy push through him as he heard her voice. His mate. 

"Derek?" Her voice sounded small as it echoed down the basement stairs but it still made his stomach feel tight. 

Derek lifted his head up sharply as he saw Jess came around the corner of the door frame. She walked shakily into the room and he watched as her eyes filled up with tears when she saw him. 

"I smelled the blood", Jess whispered walking slowly over to him. 

Derek should have been feeling like shit at the moment but he couldn't. Jess walked up to him and put a hand on his cheek. His heart almost popped out of his chest as Jess' blue eyes scanned over him. Jess' hands were on the chains on Derek's wrist and she pulled it out of the wall like it was nothing. It surprised Derek. She was stronger than he thought she would be. She seemed surprised as well. She looked down at the chain in her hand for a few seconds then pulled the other chain out of the wall. Derek let his arms down and rubbed his wrists lightly. 

Jess couldn't contain it anymore. She didn't care what Derek would think or do. She stepped forward and threw her arms around him pulling him in tight. She expected him to pull away and grumble or put on his resting b*tch face but that didn't happen. To her surprise, he hugged her tightly and she heard him let out a sigh. It felt right. His arms around her felt so right. 

Derek pulled away and lifted his sore hand up to her face. He wanted so desperately to kiss her like he had been wanting to the first time he had met her but he didn't. They were interrupted by footsteps coming down the basement stairs. Derek pushed Jess behind him in an instant, but was surprised to find it wasn't Kate back to torture him again. 

"Tell me how to stop Peter!" Scott yelled before coming into view. 

Derek tensed as Scott made eye contact with Jess. Scott looked back at Derek with a confused look. Scott knew. There was no way he didn't know. Jess smelled like a werewolf and there was nothing Derek could do. 

"Did you turn her?!" Scott yelled angrily taking a step towards Derek and Jess. 

"She was dying", Derek said, failing to mention that Peter had turned her. 

He needed to keep it to himself. 

Scott stared at Jess for a few seconds and Derek growled loudly not liking the exchange. Scott's eyes darted back to Derek and narrowed.

"How do I stop him? He's going after Allison and her family. He's going to kill them." Scott asked clenching his fists. 

Jess's heart was in her throat. Peter. He was still out there and still trying to kill people. She looked at Derek waiting for him to say something. 

"So what?" Derek responded. 

Jess took a step back from Derek but either he didn't care or didn't notice. How could he just let Peter kill innocent people? How could he let Peter roam around when he had almost succeeded in killing her. 

"So tell me how to stop him", Scott almost pleaded. 

"You can't! All right? Now- I don't know when Kate is coming back, so we need to leave", Derek said reaching back to grab Jess's hand. 

It wasn't there. Jess stared down at his hand but refused to take it. She didn't like this at all. 

Derek turned back to Jess and looked at her with a confused look. She had backed away from him and was standing staring at his hand. What was wrong with her? 

"Promise you'll help me"

Scott's voice made Derek turn back around to him. 

"You want me to risk my life for your girlfriend? For your stupid little teenage crush that means absolutely nothing? You're not in love, Scott. You're 16 years old. You're a child", Derek yelled at Scott. 

Jess flinched. For some reason she thought maybe Derek wasn't a villain even though he was a werewolf. This proved that maybe he was the villain. Maybe she needed to be scared of him. He was capable of the same things at Peter was. Her heart ached at the things Derek had said. She had felt a connection with Derek but maybe it meant absolutely nothing. She couldn't help but picture him yelling at her and telling her it all meant nothing. The sparks, the attraction, the pull she felt for him meant nothing. 

"Maybe you're right", Scott said softly then looked over at Jess, "but if you want her to be safe, you'd help me bury Peter in the ground".