The Hale House| Part 3

P.S. I know Peter did kill Laura but I don't like that so I'm blaming Kate:) Also I'm kinda sorta changing a few more things. Tootles XO

Previous: Before it truly hit her, Derek uttered the words.

"Jess, you're a werewolf". 

The words echoed in Jess's ears. In her heart she knew he was right. Know that she started looking around, she noticed she could see every small detail of the burnt wood if she focused on it. Jess could hear the pounding heartbeat of Derek. It honestly felt right to Jess. It felt like somehow, something had been unlocked. She wondered how she had even made it as a human in the first place. 

"Your wound is still healing which means you're not fully-changed yet. It won't take long before you're all healed", Derek said cautiously. 

Derek was waiting for Jess to freak out, to yell at him, to hit him...something, but she honestly just looked curious. He watched as she tilted her head to the side and looked at him intently. She lifted her hand and placed it gently on his chest. Derek couldn't help a satisfied grumble come out of his chest. He liked the way her warm hand touched him. 

"I can hear your heartbeat", she said staring at his chest, as if she could see straight through it to his heart. 

Derek swallowed hard as she closed her eyes and listened intently. He couldn't help it, his heart sped up and his heartbeat became erratic. He knew she noticed the change and tilted her head to the other side. She opened her eyes and peered at him from below her thick lashes. Derek finally noticed how exhausted Jess looked. She was very pale and Derek had guessed it was from the excessive amount of blood she lost earlier that day. There were dark circles under he big blue eyes and her face looked incredibly weary. He realized that she wasn't fully a werewolf yet and the change itself and the healing of her wound was probably taking a lot out of her. 

Derek reached his hand out and stroked her curly brown hair. To his surprise, she allowed him to and even closed her eyes and leaned into his touch. He was over-the-moon happy with her response. Maybe she would accept him the way he was after all. 

Jess's eyes didn't reopen and as she leaned back into the bed, Derek could hear her heartbeat as she started to drift off into slumber. He continued to stroke her hair until he could hear the slow steady heartbeat that meant she was asleep. 

Derek smiled for the first time in what seemed like forever. This was how he had pictured it to be...more or less. Of course, he hadn't meant for her to become a werewolf and the dilapidated house around them didn't make for the most romantic backdrop but it didn't matter. His mate was accepting him and thats all he cared about. He had never needed someone to like him or accept him so badly. It was a strange feeling for him. Derek much preferred to stay to himself and not show his emotions, but this woman was going to change him completely. 

He sat and stared at her as she slept peacefully and wondered if it was a normal thing for him to do. He wanted to protect her with all of his might. 

After a few minutes more of watching her, Derek's attention shifted to the sound of footsteps trudging through the woods. 

Scott. 

Derek cursed under his breath and took one last look at his mate sleeping soundly. Derek had let Scott know who the Alpha was but left out some important details like who Peter had attacked. Scott would give him so much sh*t if he knew Jess had been turned. Especially if Scott figured out that Jess was his mate. Derek hoped that she would stay asleep through this. 

He flew downstairs as Scott barged into the Hale House. 

"Derek", Scott yelled making a b-line for him. 

He stood amused with his arms crossed as Scott tried to make himself seem more powerful than he really was. Scott lost momentum with his walk and ended up standing a few feet away. 

"You can't be here", Derek stated hoping that Scott would leave before Jess woke up. 

"What? I'm not leaving. I came here to talk to you! Guess who showed up at my house tonight?"

Derek furrowed his eyebrows and let out a breath. He really wasn't in the mood to listen to Scott whine. 

"Your f*cking uncle. He tried to take my mom on a date, Derek. He is threatening me to try to make me join his pack", Scott said seriously. 

Derek sucked in a breath as he heard Scott. Peter may have to be put down sooner than he thought. Derek felt a surge of anger run through him as he thought about Jess laying there on the cafe floor with blood surrounding her. He tried to fight back the anger and act indifferent towards Scott's information. He needed to execute his plan on his own. He didn't quite trust Scott enough not to do something stupid, so he needed to keep his plan to himself. 

"Maybe you should", Derek said through gritted teeth, "We are stronger together Scott". 

"I don't want to be part of the pack", Scott growled slowly growing his claws and canines. 

Derek almost let out an exasperated groan. He really wasn't in the mood to fight or wake up his mate upstairs. 

"Leave Scott", Derek warned for the last time as he felt the muscles in his face start to crack. 

"No"