Chapter 22

August

Why the fuck won't she pick up my phone calls? I had called Samara twenty times and every single time it would continue to ring until I got her voicemail.

'Hey, this is Samara. Unfortunately, I'm not at the phone at the moment but leave a message and I'll get back to you.'  

Clearly, that was a lie. I had been blowing up her cell phone since last week when she broke up with me at the wedding and not one callback. Not even a text. Taking a deep breath, I covered my face with my hands as I tried to figure out when everything went wrong. I had one of the most beautiful women in my grasp and I somehow managed to lose her. This would be the time I would've gotten some brotherly advice from Trey but he was still on his honeymoon for a few more days and I wasn't going to ruin his vacation because Mara and I were having problems. I would figure this out without him. Then Samara would have to be on bed rest because once I am back in that pussy, I am going to remind her who the fuck I really am. But first I needed her to talk to me. A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts and I called them in.

"August, I need your approval on these designs," Rachelle, Nikki's sister, said coming in before handing me the portfolio.

"Alright," I mumbled before taking it and signing it, not bothering to give it a look over. "Here."

"You didn't even look it over," Rachelle stated, looking amused.

"I don't need to, I trust your work."

"Alright, August, what's up?"

"What do you mean?"

"For the last week you've been moping around here and it's starting to affect your work."

"No, it isn't."

"August you just signed a take out menu," she said and when I looked down, I had actually signed a takeout menu. Had it really gotten that bad where it was affecting my business?

"I don't know what to do Rachelle."

"You need to take a few days off."

"I just got off from a vacation, I can't do that."

"August, you run the company. If you decide to never come back, no one can tell you anything. So go home and when you come back I expect to see my boss back to his usual self. Got it?" She threatened and I chuckled.

"Yeah, I got it. Thank you, Rachelle."

"Don't mention it," she said waving it off before taking back the takeout menu and heading on her way. 

I needed to get myself together. Packing up my stuff and a few files that I could do from home to keep me from dying of boredom, I left the office and headed straight home. The drive home felt longer than usual and the radio wasn't helping since all the songs were either about love or heartbreak. Pulling into the driveway, I shut the engine off before heading inside and dropping my stuff off at the door. Home sweet home. Plopping down on the couch, I grabbed the remote and turned on the TV hoping to get my mind of Samara.

"And after this quick commercial, we will have a special guest, Ms. Samara Gray," the host announced and I fought the urge to groan. Of course. Flipping through the rest of the channels, nothing else seemed interesting and sighing in frustration, I shut the TV off. Maybe I just needed to shower.

Going upstairs, I headed straight for the bathroom before stripping out of my clothes and getting into the shower. The water cascaded down my body as I allowed my mind to drift back to when things were simpler.