Chapter 9

Samara's POV

"Be careful!" I yelled to Nedra as she ran up and down at the park with her best friend before I sat down. It was August's idea to come to the park and Nedra had been enjoying every minute of it since her friend were here as well. August. Ever since that night at Trey's party things between us had been more... relaxed. Although we never had another night like that, August had straight up let me know the ball was in my court ...

"Thanks for the ride home August," I said with a smile and he nodded.

"No problem."

"Alright well, I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Hol' up," August said stopping me from entering the house. "You alright wit everything that happened tonight right?"

"Yes, August. I'm a grown woman, remember?"

"Trust me, a nigga never forgot," he mumbled licking his lips and I couldn't help but bite my lip. "'Mara I promise you if you bite that lip again, I'mma fuck that ass up."

I put my hands up in surrender and he chuckled.

"Don't worry, next time you'll be beggin' for it."

"Not likely."

"We'll see."

"Samara!" Nedra yelled as she tugged on my romper and I snapped out of my daydream and looked down at her.

"Yeah?"

"Can we go visit my daddy at work?"

"Sure, let me just call to make sure it's alright." She nodded before taking a seat beside me on the bench waiting for me to call. I slid my phone out of my pocket and dialed August's number

"August Harter."

"Hey August."

"Oh shoot wassup 'mara? My lil girl behavin' herself?"

"Always. She wants to come visit you though. Are you free?"

"Yeah, yall can come slid through real quick."

"Alright well we'll leave the park now and we'll be there in about ten minutes."

"Why so long?" August asked.

"We decided to walk to the park since it's so nice out so we'll walk to your work place."

"Alright. Sounds like a plan."

"Okay, well if that's all-"

"Wait, one more thing," August said stopping me from ending the conversation. "What you wearing?"

"Goodbye August!" I said with a laugh and he chuckled with me.

"Lemme talk to my lil girl real quick."

"Nedra come talk to your daddy." Nedra smiled before quickly taking the phone and engaging into conversation with her dad. I smiled as Nedra told August about our day and how much she liked having me as a babysitter before saying her goodbye and hanging up the phone. I slid the phone back into my pocket before grabbing Nedra's hand.

"Ready?"

"Yup"

***

The Harter enterprise was a gorgeous, high building that towered over all the business that were nearby.

"Woah," Nedra mumbled. "This is bigger than the barbie dream house I want."

"I bet," I mumbled with a laugh before leading her in. People were rushing around the building frantically while the receptionist was quickly taking phone calls and putting people through. We headed straight for the front desk and the receptionist gave a wide smile before giving us the motion to wait a second as she finished up her call.