Creating a Monster (Prequel to Dr. Crane and Mr. Scarecrow)

"Jonathan don't wander too far!" Mother called.

"I won't!" I replied running in the cornfield.

I laughed as I turned a corner only to stop when I came face to face with a frightening Scarecrow with crows on both arms.

"Nice birds...Nice birds..." I muttered beginning to back away.

"Caw!!!!" One screeched as a murder of them flew at me scratching me.

I squirmed and tried to get them off me but no matter how much I tried they wouldn't leave me alone.

I felt so scared. I thought I would never be free from their sharp talons.

I just remember screaming.

*First Grade*

"Jonathan is scared of birds! Jonathan is scared of birds!" The children chanted.

"What a freak!" One laughed.

"Stop that.." I pleaded rubbing away the tears with my sleeve.

"What're you going to do? Start crying? Look at me I'm Jonathan I start crying because I can't defend myself!" Another mocked.

I pushed the boy, but he pushed back causing me to fall on the ground and cut my forehead.

"I...said....stop." I panted sitting up revealing my bloody forehead.

The boy taunting me stopped and looked like he saw the face of death itself. "H-He's bleeding!! He's covered in germs! Get him away from me!"

I felt something surge through me as I stepped forward causing him to take a step back. The boy began crying as I stepped closer and closer.

The teacher came over and gave me detention not noticing the smile on my face as vengeance was swiftly dealt.

It would be years before I realized the boy had hemophilia and whenever he saw blood, he would be in the hospital, weeks at a time trying to get the bleeding to stop.

I didn't feel guilty. I felt alive.

*Highschool*

"I'm sorry Jonathan, but I already told Christopher I'd be his partner." Liza apologized.

"It's ok. Maybe next time." I weakly smiled watching her walk off to work with one of the most popular kids in our class.

'She doesn't like you, Johnny.' The voice whispered.

"No one does." I muttered sitting down and opening the textbook to the required chapter for the partner activity.

'We can change that..' He suggested.

"How?" I asked taking a beaker and adding two pipette-full of vinegar to the mixture.

'We can make them fear us. It's better to be feared than loved. Then they'll have to respect us.' It suggested.

I dropped a small rock into the beaker and watched as it slowly began to dissolve.

"Will Liza respect us?" I asked looking at my reflection in the beaker.

'Of course! How couldn't she when every boy will be too scared to talk to her but us!' The voice inquired.

"You doing alright Jon?" A sweet voice asked.

I turned around to see Y/n working by themselves.

"Where's your partner?" I asked.

"Chris ditched me to work with Liza." They shrugged. "And by the looks of things I could ask you the same thing."

"Oh...I see..." I replied.

"Don't worry I got back at him. In three.....two......." They counted.

As if on cue a shriek broke my current train of thought as a eruption of vinegar exploded in Christopher's and Liza's faces.

"Christopher what the hell?!!" Liza screeched.

"I-I didn't do it!" Christopher interjected.

"Must've been that l/n girl/boy!! Ugh what a freak!" Liza screams trying to get the vinegar wiped off her face.

"Lover's quarrel. Amazing what a pinch of baking soda can do." Y/n commented continuing to work on their project.

'She's good..' the voice complimented.

"Bet they'll think twice before messing with me again. *Sigh* The wonders of science." They muttered to themselves cleaning up their station while attempting to seek the teacher's attention to leave for the day since their project was done.

"See ya Jonathan! I'll save you a seat on the bus!" They waved being dismissed from the class after having their project inspected.

'They're  very good..' The voice continued. 'I like them..'

"They're  just a friend." I defended.

'A cute friend who just proved my point. I think you should look into using their methods.' They recommend.

That week I went to the high school library and took two books on primal fears.

"Whatcha readin?" Y/n asked poking their head up from the bus seat behind me.

"Primal fears and their origins." I answered.

"Sounds interesting. If you like reading how the mind works, you should take psychology with me. It'll be fun and it's a graduation requirement to take." They elaborated.

'If they're single you better get on the stick Johnny.  They're perfect.' The voice teased.

"We'll see." I smiled.

"Awesome!" They replied.

*Two years later*

"Y/n why are you crying?" I asked.

"My boyfriend dumped me." They replied sobbing. "He said I was a freak. And I shouldn't be happy with who I am."

I hugged them wordlessly seething in my rage.

'They'll pay...' The voice and I promised.

"Hey Mason!" I shouted making the boy stop in his tracks.

"Hey Jonathan what's up?" He replied.

"Stay away from Y/n." I warned.

"Or what?" He asked.

'Or this.' The voice warned as I stabbed him in the neck and injected him with my toxin.

"Or you'll face something even worse than your nightmares." I warned walking away letting him roll on the ground wreathing in fear from his hallucinations.

In a twisted way I'd never felt more alive than that moment. I felt free from the persecution I'd experience on a daily basis, and felt a twisted sense of joy hearing his screams.

'Absolutely beautiful.' The voice commented.