Harvey Dent Catch-up

How You Met
Being district attorney for the city of Gotham was a very time consuming job for Harvey Dent. Many late nights preparing to present evidence in hopes of presenting the defendant as guilty as possible to the jury. Most cases were won, but some were lost. Thankfully though today was a day where the case had been prosecuting ruled in favor of the prosecution.

As he was gathering his papers to place into his briefcase, he heard a voice address him behind him. "Congratulations District Attorney Dent; you'd think that with the amount of cases you've won, that you're paying the defendants to commit easily convicted crimes."

Harvey turned around to lock eyes with a courtroom journalist who happened to cover days when Harvey was prosecuting cases. Y/n.

Harvey smiled letting a chuckle pass his lips. "I guess if you look at it from a certain pint of view. Though for me I just view that I'm helping justice be served."

Y/n smiled "Can I quote you on that?"

"Of course. So what are you plans for the evening?" He asked with more intention than simply being courteous.

"Well I was thinking of grabbing a cup of coffee at the diner that's not too far from here. Care to join me?" They asked.

"That would be nice. Thank you." He smiled grabbing his briefcase and walking with them to the it the courtroom.

"So how long have you been covering cases?" Harvey asked as they neared the entrance of the courthouse.

"About six months. A little different than writing articles about crime in (Your Hometown)." They replied.

"How so?" He asked.

"There's just..so much." They laughed. "I know that probably sounds like a very obvious answer."

"No. It's okay." He reassured. "Gotham has a very high crime rate compared to other places. Even I sometimes feel overwhelmed at the seemingly endless amount of court cases I need to work on."

Y/n's shoulders visibly relaxed at Harvey's words. "Well that's a relief. The diner is just a couple of blocks from here."

Harvey nodded and matched their walking pace. For a couple of minutes they just walked in pleasant silence, then typical of Gotham overcast, droplets of rain began to fall from the sky. Being ever the gentleman, Harvey was about to take off his jacket for Y/n to use as a makeshift umbrella, when he saw them dig around in their messenger bag to pull out a compact umbrella.

Y/n smiled noticing the curious look on his face. "Can never be too careful." Flicking a switch on the umbrella for it become a regular sized umbrella able to cover both of them from the evening showers.

Harvey chuckled thankful that he wouldn't get drenched. "I suppose you can't."

They made their way to the diner without further surprises. They were greeted with the smell of fried food and roasted coffee as they entered the diner. A waitress greeted them and seated them in a booth that faced the front windows of the diner.

As they both flipped through their menus, Y/n asked a question that caught Harvey off guard. "So why did you decide to become a lawyer?"

"Off the record?" Harvey asked placing his menu on the table.

"I'm going to be honest with you Mr. Dent, I don't record quotes when I'm not working. It's a poor way of making friends." They responded shrugging their shoulders.

Harvey knew he had a good feeling about you. "I became a lawyer because growing up in Gotham, everyone experienced or knew someone who was the victim of a crime. That feeling of helplessness stays with you, no matter how much you try to bury it. I became a lawyer so that the people who had those feelings, felt safer knowing the person who made them feel helpless was put away."