Chapter 71- Cupcakes and Criminals

Millie's POV

---------------------

"Heard anything from Emily, recently?" says John, casually, turning a page in the newspaper.

I look up at the sound of her name, and feel my muscles tense involuntarily.

I need to relax. It's only Emily.

She tried to kill you.

She was angry. With good reason, too.

You saw it in her. She wanted you dead. It wasn't just anger. Anger alone doesn't fuel murder.

"Millie?"

"Hm? Yes?"

They're both looking at me, and I realise that I'm gripping the armrest of the chair with such force the taught material is creasing under my fingers. I let go, and look away. Sherlock and John exchange a glance, before-

"So- Sherlock, have you...been in contact?" asks John, carefully.

"With Emily? No. Why would I have been?"

John shifts around, uncomfortable, and lowers his newspaper-

"Well, it's been a month since... well, you know, all that, and it's a bit strange that we-"

"That we haven't heard anything from her? Yes, I agree. It is abnormal, isn't it?"

I square my shoulders, and try to look unaffected-

"What about Moriarty? He's been quiet, recently-"

"Oh, come on, Millie, we can't just assume that they're-"

"That's not what I'm saying at all," I snap, and John leans back, folding his arms-

"I was simply suggesting that we look to see if there's been a correlation. Not necessarily a personal one- a criminal factor that could have lead to their unexpected... disappearance."

John raises an eyebrow-

"Right. Well, we've been quite busy with cases recently, so it's not like the entire criminal world has been affected."

"Does it not occur to either of you that she might be embarrassed?" says Sherlock, simply, not looking up from his paper.

We look at him, in silence. John shakes his head wordlessly, in disbelief-

"Come again?"

"Well it's not everyday you nearly strangle a friend, is it? Perhaps she's just uncomfortable with the situation, and doesn't know how to rectify it."

We can only gape at him.

"Jesus...breathes John.

"What?" says Sherlock, sharply, looking up at us and realising for the first time that we're staring.

"You could actually be right about that, Sherlock."

Sherlock looks at us condescendingly. 

"So what do we do now?"

"Try calling her?" Sherlock suggests, simply.

"Christ, I don't think I can cope with this new, emotionally-in-sync Sherlock- it's kind of scary, actually," says John, still surprised, fumbling around in his pocket for his phone.

Sherlock just raises his eyebrows a fraction, and continues reading his newspaper.

I watch in silence.