Chapter 13- Confrontations

Millie's POV

---------------

I push open the door to 221B with my elbow; my hands are occupied carrying multiple bags of grocery shopping. As soon as I step into the building, I tense up.

Someone's here.

I've been on edge since I saw the graffiti on the wall. I can't shake the feeling that someone is following me. 

I recognise the jacket hanging on the door. It's Emily's. I bite my lip; I haven't spoken to her since the encounter at the cafe, and, although I know I should, I really don't want to apologise to her.

I go into our apartment, to find her sitting on the edge of the sofa, texting. She looks up at my entrance, and gives me a wan smile. I can't see Sherlock anywhere. I give her a nod in return, and go into the kitchen, leaving the bags on the counter.

"Sherlock's out. Mycroft called."

"I'm not here to see Sherlock."

"Oh... Well... John's at work. Sorry."

"No, I'm here to speak to you- if you don't mind."

I blink at her.

"Me?"

"Yes. I.. wanted to apologise for my behaviour at the cafe. I know it's late, but I've been.. busy with work recently. I'm sorry."

I nod, and walk over to the armchair opposite her.

"I'm sorry too. I didn't mean to provoke a response... I just did some research. Nothing personal, I do it to everyone. Comes with the job," I say, smiling.

"Thankyou. However, I want you to promise that you'll never repeat what you found, to anyone," she says, her face serious.

"I promise. Can I ask you something?"

She studies me for a minute.

"Go for it."

"Why do you need Sherlock?"

She blinks at me, obviously not expecting that as a question.

"Why do I need him? Same reason as anybody, I suppose. He's interesting. I like interesting."

I nod. She looks up, and says-

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yes."

"How do you know Jim Moriarty?"

I freeze.

"Sorry, you don't have to answe-" she begins, looking at me, concerned.

"I know him through Sherlock. I got... involved in their game. Too involved. He used me as leverage. It spiralled out of control very quickly."

I pause.

"I saved his life."

"What?!"

"He was shot. I knew the woman who shot him, and she was distraught. Also, he said that if he died, John and I would too, and I didn't want Sherlock to suffer. Only... he hasn't really forgiven me since."

I frown. I'm not sure why I said that. I haven't voiced that thought to anyone, and suddenly I'm telling a criminal hacker who I don't actually know, let alone trust.

She breathes out slowly, and studies me, her pale grey eyes flitting across my face. I see sympathy, pity even. 

I don't want her pity.