Chapter 62- Brotherly Petulance

Millie's POV

------------------

"Mycroft, what did I tell you about starting a premature war? Look what it's done to the traffic. At this rate hailing a taxi is going to be harder than trying to hold a basic conversation with Anderson," says Sherlock, pushing into the apartment and throwing his coat carelessly at Mycroft, "Why are you here?"

Mycroft sneers in response, deliberately removing the coat with surgical precision and dropping it onto the floor-

"Don't worry, brother mine- the roads will be clear imminently, and you can resume your taxi hailing with renewed vigour. I'm here on a governmental basis, not that it concerns you."

"You're in my apartment, Mycroft- how exactly does this not concern me?"

John, Emily and I hover in the hallway, torn between uncertain and deeply amused- watching Sherlock and Mycroft argue reassembles two adolescent teenagers in it's petulance.

On cue, Mycroft draws himself up to his full height, looking down over the length of his nose through narrowed eyes-

"I am here to oversee the arrests of two of the most wanted criminal figureheads in our society- something that you are evidently not capable of doing, Sherlock."

Sherlock looks around, miming deliberation, before sarcastically exclaiming-

"That's funny, I don't see any criminals ransacking my apartment. Unless you mean me. Have you come to arrest me, Mycroft? Or John, perhaps? Or maybe Millie, as she is of such a scandalous disposition."

"Much as I would love to see you dragged into custody, brother dear, I was here on the grounds to arrest Emily Schott and Jim Moriarty-"

"Well that clearly didn't work, as Emily is standing unaffected to my left and Moriarty isn't anywhere to be seen. I think you've finally gone delusional, Mycroft. Must be the asbestos in the walls- perhaps it's permeated the cake."

Mycroft visibly bristles, and glares at Sherlock-

"Were you not aware of the fact that, just moments ago, Moriarty was here in this very lodging you deem to be an apartment?"

Sherlock turns around sharply, the banter falling away-

"What?"

Mycroft allows a satisfied smirk to spread across the contours of his face:

"Oh yes- him and Emily were here before my arrival. They were somewhat... occupied with eachother. And I'm delusional? Unlike you, I refrain from letting criminals use my home as a sex stop."

Emily laughs behind me.

We turn around to look at her, waiting for an explanation. She just grins, and looks at Mycroft-

"You left out the bit where Moriarty got away, unharmed, despite the building and nearby area surrounded with half the country's military reinforcements."

"It was necessary," snaps Mycroft, agitated.

"It was hilarious."

"Miss. Schott, you do not possess an intellect that matches that of James Moriarty. You couldn't possibly begin to comprehend the scale of destruction that could result if I did not comply to his demands."

"So he blackmailed you, and you went along with it," concludes John, raising an eyebrow at Mycroft.

Silence.

"Well, that's enough sibling conversation for today, I think, Mycroft. I'd really appreciate it if you stop irritating everyone with your presence and get out," says Sherlock, sitting down heavily and stretching out.

Mycroft manages a contemptuous glare in his direction, before nodding curtly-

"You're a fool, Sherlock."

"I've got a chemistry degree which directly contradicts that. Get out."

Mycroft turns sharply on his heel, and strides out of the building, chin up and posture stiff.

We listen in silence to the noise of the gradually retreating military vehicles outside. Then-

"Emily, I think you need to tell us exactly what has been happening. Start from the beginning."

Emily looks at us, carefully, before sighing heavily-

"Alright. Though before I start, does anyone have any mints? I've got a taste in my mouth that I don't particularly appreciate."

------------------------

Five minutes have passed after Emily's departure, and we're still in stunned silence.

Finally, John speaks-

"So... Emily's gone criminal again?"

"Not just 'criminal', John. She's playing with fire; allowing herself to get dangerously close to Moriarty, trying to break him. I suppose she has good reason. Although I can't say I understand her psychosis," says Sherlock, thoughtfully.

"She's a bloody nutcase," says John, resting a hand on his temple and sighing.

"I don't think she's insane. I think she's brilliant, in the sense that her mind is capable of both good and bad. But she lacks a sense of stability. Danger generates something in her that we can't comprehend," I say.

Sherlock looks at me, very intently, and I don't know what to do, so I start studying the carpet with unusual interest.

John clears his throat.

Sherlock snaps out of whatever thought he was mulling over, and looks up at John, sharply.

"Er... What do we do now?" ask John, startled by Sherlock's intensity.

"You don't do anything."

"So you have a plan?"

"Yes."

"Are you going to elaborate...?"

"No."

"Of course you're not."

Then-

"Change of subject, I guess I should let you two know that I'm going out this weekend. I'll...er...probably be staying the night. Think you two can contain your passion for twenty-four hours?"

I glare at him.

"Don't look at me like that, Millie, I'm only joking. Although I swear to god there's something in the air at the moment. First there's Emily and Moriarty, then me going out at night, now you and Sherlock-"

"If Emily had heard you say that, she would have legitimately beaten you to a pulp."

"Yeah, well she didn't hear anything- and she's not going to, I know that look, Sherlock. Not a word."

Sherlock just smiles and presses his fingertips together, leaning back and looking up at John-

"No promises."

----------------------------