Chapter 61- Bonnie and Clyde

Emily's POV

------------------

"I may not be in your position, Mycroft, but I do have a decent enough knowledge of the law to know that you have no valid reason to take me in to custody," I say, crossing my arms. "I haven't flaunted the legal system knowingly."

Mycroft laughs, coldly.

"Miss. Schott, I think we should agree now not to lie to each other. It makes the process a lot less painful for both of us."

"I'm not going anywhere until you provide me with sufficient evidence for my arrest."

Mycroft straightens up and looks down over his nose, the epitome of condescension.

"The Ministry of Defence's security software was breached last night, and the contents leaked to a man named Gytrash-"

Moriarty lets out a long, low whistle, mocking surprise at the sound of his name, earning a glare from Mycroft and myself. 

"What has that got to do with me?" I say, hostile.

"I'm afraid you're our prime suspect, Miss Schott. Your past record is indicative of your... ability, and hacking the Ministry of Defence is no easy task. Also-" he breaks off to beckon an armed officer forward, "We have been tracking your recent whereabouts, and found this discarded in your recent hotel lodging. Tell me, is this yours?"

The officer opens a sealed bag, and pulls out my cracked laptop.

"That's my laptop. Although you won't find anything of interest on there- you're most welcome to check. And yes, I was at a hotel last night- that's not a crime, is it?"

"I really did want to keep this short, but since you insist on being questioned here, I suppose I can find it in myself to oblige. And you, James- you are more than welcome to wait here, but if you find this process tiresome there are plenty of armed officers to escort you to custody now," Mycroft says, addressing Moriarty with a clipped and tight-lipped smile.

Moriarty doesn't react. He just regards Mycroft with disconcerting interest, unblinking and unmoving.

Mycroft sighs, and takes off one leather glove, tucking it neatly in his waistcoat pocket. He reaches out to take the laptop, turning it over and opening the back-

"The condensed motherboard is missing. You, of all people, are aware that it contains all the fundamental information needed to further this investigation. If you are telling me the truth, it is your saving grace. It will only serve to prove your innocence. So I suggest that you give it to me now."

"I don't have it."

Mycroft hands the laptop back to the officer, who bags it as evidence.

"Very well. I shall humour you, for the moment. But my patience will wear thin, be wary of that, Miss. Schott. Let us start with the basics. Why did you book into a hotel last night?"

I keep my face composed, although inside, I'm panicking. I can't think of any reason as to why I might have been staying in a hotel. I know that every second of silence is weakening my case. Mycroft opens his mouth to speak-

"She was with me."

We both turn round to look at Moriarty, completely bewildered. Mycroft regains his composure rapidly, then asks-

"And why was she with you?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

"Charming. A modern day Bonnie and Clyde. Why are you in my brother's apartment?" he says coolly, addressing me.