Chapter 46- Showers and Bluffs

Millie's POV

-----------------

The line's been silent for five minutes, so I hang up, feeling frustrated. I'm not really sure who I'm angry at anymore.

"Who was that, John?"

"I told you, Sherlock- it was Harry."

"No it wasn't. You do not initiate conversation with your sister, and Millie continued the call on my arrival, suggesting that you were both concealing something from me. Who was it?"

John looks uncomfortable, hands clasped behind his back and rocking back and forward slightly.

"Er- It was-"

"It was Emily," I say, pushing past John and crossing my arms, looking up at Sherlock.

"Emily?" Sherlock's brows furrow in confusion.

"Yes. She got herself into a...situation last night, and we were checking up on her."

"Then why hide it from me?" asks Sherlock, narrowing his eyes and taking a step forward, "What was the 'situation', and how does it affect us?"

Now it's my turn to look uncomfortable. I look at John for confirmation, and he nods, his shoulders bracing for the inevitable outburst. I tell Sherlock about me using his phone to broadcast a message, and then about following '_M' to a bar in downtown London. I tell him that I saw Emily, completely intoxicated, climb into a taxi with Moriarty, soon afterwards. And then I tell him our theory, which hasn't been completely confirmed, but the silence on the other end of the line this morning provided me with sufficient evidence to draw a conclusion. I keep my tone unemotive and language short and scientific, hoping to appeal to his sociopathic side. When I finish, I step back, and prepare for a reaction.

It doesn't come.

He just frowns slightly, and looks out the window, as if I'd told him a particularly uninteresting story. 

"Sherlock... do you understand what Millie just told you?" says John slowly, looking at him with disbelief.

"Of course I do. Though it's not particularly shocking. Moriarty may be my equal when it comes to intellectual prowess, but, unlike me, he openly embraces biological desires. I believe that it is a weakness, as such cravings lead to the clouding of the mind. I assume that, on the rare occasion he does commit to such activities, it is to either gain information or an advantage, or to relieve himself of the urges he is unable to suppress."

"You're a bloody machine, Sherlock," says John, shaking his head slowly.

I'm silent, thinking. His words mirror my thoughts yesterday. However, I think he's missing something.

"Sherlock, I think you're forgetting our situation. Moriarty is slowly chipping away at Emily's resolve, breaking down her shields. And, although she may not have been fully aware of her actions, by deciding to sleep with that man- and I'm assuming for argument's sake that she did, she is allowing herself to be manipulated by him. Although this doesn't affect us now- think about what it could lead to, Sherlock. If he manages to get to her completely, she will be used against us. And we all know what a dangerous counterpart she could make."

Sherlock's expression has changed. He is silent for a while. 

"Of course..." he breathes, not looking at us, his mind drifting further away- "Of course. Oh, he is clever."

John raises his eyebrows and snorts in derision.

Sherlock snaps out of his trance and claps his hands together, pacing around the room, "You're right, Millie. He went where I do not go, and he used it to his advantage. It's so simple, so obvious- yet so audaciously brilliant."