Chapter 29- Tickets

Emily's POV

--------------

"Right. You're up." says the policeman on the right, holding me at the elbow and propelling me up the stairs.

My heels tap on the wooden steps, and my wrists strain against the handcuffs. This is my trial,which will end in my imprisonment, and I've had to dress like I'm going to a wedding.

I stand up in the box, looking round the room with disinterest; the jury, to my left, the judge, leaning over his clasped hands, and then the audience behind me. I turn my head an see Sherlock, Millie and John file into the rows of seats, and sit down, smiling at me.

The court trial begins.

I zone out.

The last couple of weeks have been very interesting. After my arrest, the accusation that I was the one who supplied the newspapers with information on British Ambassadors disintegrated; all charges were dropped. But, as I predicted, I was re-arrested almost immediately, and here I am now being tried for multiple counts of malicious hacking and leaking of confidential files. Crimes I actually did commit. I was told by my lawyer that there was no chance I could get away with less than a thirty year sentence, and even that was generous.

Sherlock, Millie and John visited during my containment- mostly to apologise.

Sherlock told me it was Mycroft who responded to the anonymous phone call, and ordered me arrested. I don't hold anything against him- it was going to happen anyway.

I just wish I'd had the chance to slap Jim Moriarty one more time.

The trial goes on forever.

I look at the clock on the wall, half-listening to the list of accusations from the prosecutor. I have no defence; no witnesses, no plea for my innocence. I decided I might as well accept my fate with some good grace.

And then it's time for the jury to make their decision, and I'm escorted from the room.

The jail door slams shut.

------------------

Millie's POV

We're called into the courtroom for the verdict about an hour later. I'm genuinely surprised it took that long: Emily had no defence, and it is blatantly obvious she will be labelled guilty. I'm not sure what there is to debate about.

Emily is already there when we arrive. She stands casually, in her unusually smart attire, looking thoroughly bored. It's moments like this that she makes me uncomfortable; she stops being the carefree woman we were with on the evening of Sherlock's interview, and starts resembling Moriarty. She regards the jury with a look of casual defiance, one eyebrow arched, awaiting the verdict. 

The judge walks in, and I stop-

Something's wrong.

He looks visibly distressed, although he's trying hard to disguise it. I glance at Sherlock, who is examining the judge with equal intensity. There are beads of perspiration at his temple and jaw, and his eyes are frantic. He shakily walks up to his elevated position and adjusts his wig with trembling fingers, before clearing his throat-

"Has the jury reached a verdict?"

"Yes your honour."

There's a pause. The judge swallows, and closes his eyes.

"Guilty."

There's a ripple of appreciative noise through the audience. John covers his face with his hand. Emily doesn't move. Sherlock's eyes narrow, as he studies the judge.