Chapter 31 - Critical Pairings

Out near the outskirts of nowhere, a Police transportation van had tipped over. Nobody was around to notice, and two of the vans three occupants were unconscious. One of the back doors had been bent, and was now hanging limp on one hinge. The man in the back of the van kicked the door down and slid out into the daylight. His suit was orange, torn and ragged. The cuffs on his hands were tight, preventing the man from causing any trouble. Or so the officers had thought. The criminal looked into the clear sky and chuckled to himself. He had a plan, one that he was sure wouldn't fail.

“Let's do this, Bidoof, use Superpower on Cyndaquil! Aipom, use Fury Swipes on Luxio!” David ordered, pushing our battle into motion.

“Cyndi, dodge and use Flame Wheel!” I countered. Bidoof sprang forward, falling on its face when it missed Cyndi by metres. My Pokemon then sent Bidoof spiralling, covered in flames. The bizarre thing was that I got a two for one deal. Bidoof landed on Aipom, sending them both rolling across the floor. “Haha! Spark, use Thunderbolt!” Holly called. Her Pokemon pulsed with energy, zapping both of the opponent's Pokemon where they stood. They both fainted immediately. “That was... easy.” Holly muttered, obviously disappointed. David returned his two Pokemon and sighed.

“Sorry, they aren't typically strong, but don't let them give you the wrong impression!” He said, throwing two more PokeBalls into the air. “Come out, Clefable and Granbull!”. They landed with a thud, Clefable dancing in a circle and Granbull bearing its teeth. “Granbull, use Outrage on Cyndaquil! Clefable, use Meteor Mash on Luxio!” David finished.

“Spark, use Discharge!” Holly retaliated.

“Cyndi, use Flamethrower!” I joined in. Granbull managed to land maybe two punches before being sizzled with electricity. It stumbled backwards and regained its posture, ready for another strike. Clefable had a shining fist, and it was flying towards Cyndi. The punch hit her, but Cyndi barely felt anything. My Pokemon then roared and unleashed a massive barrage of flames into Clefable's face. It fainted. “You sure you're a Gym Leader?” Holly joked. David sighed and returned Clefable, but waited before bringing out his next Pokemon. Granbull was still raging, punching Spark and being rewarded with sharp jolts of electricity. It ran forward one last time, managing to score a Critical Hit. Spark shot backwards, digging his feet into the floor. He barely succeeded in standing, but he was ok. Granbull on the other hand, was not. The tragic side affect of Outrage is the lasting confusion. Granbull no longer had a grip on its brain, and punched itself in the head. It stumbled backwards and regained a tiny ounce of sense. “Right, help out here, Exploud!” David called, hurling another PokeBall into the air. He had three left, but we still had full stock. How did this man ever become a Gym Leader in the first place?

“Exploud, use Hyper Voice! Granbull, fight it and use Headbutt on Cyndaquil!” David ordered, clearly ready to give us a real fight. Exploud opened its mouth and roared louder than five jet engines. Everyone covered their ears, wincing at the sound. Spark and Cyndi cried out, their eardrums taking a pounding. They were fighting hard to keep the noise away, but it was hopeless. Granbull came from nowhere, covered by the terrible noise. It hooked its head underneath Cyndi and jerked upwards. Cyndi flew into the ceiling and smacked her head on a support beam as she fell down again. She was out cold. Meanwhile, Spark was gritting his teeth, a tear of pain trickling down his cheek. “Spark, use Spark on Exploud!” Holly shouted, her ears covered. Spark was barely able to hear the command, but started to run towards Exploud. Exploud's shout was so powerful that it created a wind current. Spark was fighting it now, electricity whipping through the air behind him. He was just in front of the enemy, but he couldn't take it any more. Two more seconds of this scream and he'd faint. But then, it died out. Exploud had stopped. Spark saw his moment and leapt forward, flaring an angry smile. Exploud brought its arm down like a hammer, nailing Spark where he jumped. Holly and I had both lost a Pokemon, and David was pleased with himself. Everyone uncovered their ears and rubbed their foreheads. “Ah... You see? We do have power!” David mumbled.