Chapter 6 - A Comeback

“Toby?” I heard someone call. “Please, wake up! We nee-“ The voice ended and I sank into darkness once more.

I awoke in a daze I don't know how many hours later. Bonnie was asleep by my side, with some minor injuries. I couldn't wait to see what a mess I was. I took a look around the room I was in. Medical equipment set up everywhere. Although, for some sort of hospital, the place seemed quiet. Too quiet... It was then that I noticed that the window was wide open, the curtains flailing in the wind. There was a loud buzzing sound too. After several moments observation, I noticed a note on the bedside table. I picked it up and strained myself to read it aloud.

“How are you?  We have the Gym Leader and the girl, so you’d better make it snappy!”

-Rocket Grunt-

The girl? But Bonnie was right beside me... “TOBY!” Jamie screamed as he ran into my room. “That James guy, he knocked me out of the way and kidnapped that Brock guy and your girlfriend!”

Jamie and his jokes.                                                                                  

“Ok.” I spluttered. “Number one, stop with the nonsense, you know who she is! And second, get me out of this bed!”

After several minutes, I was standing.

“How long was I out?” I asked.

“About four hours.” Jamie replied.

“I’m sorry, I..."                                                                                                   

“Whatever, now, who was it who kidnapped them? The letter says it was a Rocket Grunt, and you said it was James. Who was it?” I asked, losing my patience.                                                              

“I, er, I-I didn’t really get a good look! All I saw was a huge Rocket balloon!” Jamie started. I only just noticed a Raichu standing by his leg. I nodded in his direction.

“Rai Rai.” He responded. I grabbed my PokeBalls from the bedside and looked at Jamie. “Nice Raichu.” I said, and then jumped out the window. Bad idea. My legs caved in and I fell to the floor in pain. “Agh!” I yelped. “Sling my back-pack out will you?” I called to Jamie. Moments later, Raichu leaped out of the window, followed by Jamie.

“Here you go.” He said, handing me my bag. And then “What about your sister? Will she be ok?” He asked in concern. I pulled a Full Restore, pen and paper out of my bag, as well as my clothes the doctor had put in my bag after I was changed into hospital wear. I began writing a note on the paper, reading aloud as I did. “Doctor, please could you look after my sister? I have gone to investigate the loss of my friends. Do not worry, I am fully healed. If she should awake, assure her that I will be back as fast as I can. From Toby”

I slipped the note onto my bed and turned to Jamie. “Fully healed? You look so pale!” He gasped. I opened the cap of the Full Restore, stared at it, closed my eyes and sprayed it onto my sores. The sensation was incredible! My whole body tingled as the liquid soaked into my skin. After mere seconds, I was refreshed and ready for anything. “Wow.” I remarked “I should let Nurse Joy know that this stuff works on humans!”

After changing clothes, packing my bag and locking the window tight, Jamie and I set off. Jamie told me that the balloon was moving extremely slowly, that it could only just be entering Cerulean City now. If we ran, we might just make it before it flew across the ocean. We ran through to Mt. Moon, everything seeming calm along the way. That is, until we reached Mt. Moon’s entrance. Standing there was a Team Rocket Grunt, staring fiercely at us. He made his move fast, whipping out a PokeBall and throwing it into the air, saying nothing. I quickly grabbed my own PokeBall and threw it, shouting: “Treecko! Help!”

The Rocket Grunt’s Pokemon appeared. Just my luck - a Pignite. I quickly scrambled for Piplup’s PokeBall, knowing she could help. However, as I brought her PokeBall up, the Rocket Grunt ordered his Pignite to use flamethrower, making the it shoot into some nearby grass. Jamie and Raichu immediately ran to retrieve it, whilst Treecko and I were faced with a big foe. “Pound!” I yelped, and Treecko leapt to attention, smacking Pignite’s face.      

“Bide.” The Grunt uttered. Great, I now either had to attack and hope I K.O.’d the Pignite before it made its move, or wait until afterwards and take some shots. I chose to attack, ordering Treecko to smash Pignite over and over. As time progressed, Jamie returned and Pignite got weaker. I had just ordered Treecko to finish it with one last attack, but The Grunt muttered the worst words he could have.

“Unleash it!” He screamed.

“Treecko! RUN!”  I squeaked. But it was too late; Treecko couldn’t possibly pull out of the attack quick enough. Unless... Unless that was what the Grunt wanted!                

“Treecko! Attack! Max power!” I ordered. Treecko grinned and shot towards Pignite even faster than before. The Grunt’s Pignite summoned its energy within, and prepared to let it go.

Treecko raised his fist...

BANG! The two collided with incredible force, causing a huge explosion and smoke to fill the area. “Whoa!” Jamie exclaimed.

After the dust settled, Pignite was keeling over, and Treecko was panting like crazy. All of a sudden, Treecko started to glow. “What!?” I exclaimed. Treecko was evolving! With a blinding light, Treecko screeched and matured into Grovyle! My new Pokemon grinned a smug grin, and launched towards Pignite, arms glowing. I couldn’t believe it...!

Grovyle unleashed a lethal Leaf Blade onto Pignite, sending it flying into the wall, instantly knocking it out. “Gh!” The Grunt exclaimed. Grovyle gave him a sinister glare, and he retrieved his Pokemon and ran in the opposite direction. I ran up to Grovyle, hugged him, thanked him, and returned him. Jamie just stared in awe as I continued into Mt. Moon.

We went on, not knowing why Team Rocket would do this. And more importantly, just what exactly, did they want with me?