Chapter 13 - Cutting The Grass

Cyndi leapt through the air and collided with Meganium’s chin the moment its SolarBeam was released. Meganium’s head arched back and the SolarBeam shot at the roof, ripping many metal tiles from their supports. “Cyndi, run to Amber!” I called. Metal slabs crashed down everywhere, each one a threatening sword stab. Cyndi rolled and jumped, easily dodging any that came near. Meanwhile, Gavin was awestruck, watching as possibly the biggest slab of all shot down towards Meganium. “Torterra, Frenzy Plant!” He called. Torterra immediately sent a huge barrage of vines over to Meganium, grabbing the falling metal just inches from its neck.

“Throw it at Dragonite!” Gavin ordered. It seems he was determined to knock out Amber, but why? Was he trying to be rid of the stronger opponent? Torterra launched the metal with all of its power. No matter, I wouldn’t let Amber take another hit. “Cyndi, cut the metal with Flamethrower and protect Amber!” I shouted, much to Holly’s surprise. Just then, Holly’s Dragonite rose from the mountain of rubble, battered, bruised, but still standing. I really admired Amber for her bravery then, but if I didn’t act quickly, it would be the last time she would stand in this battle. The slab was metres away now; Cyndi had to hit it right. “Now!” I yelled.

Cyndi leapt up in front of Amber and released her flames. To Gavin’s surprise, the metal was sheared in half easily, shooting off either side of Amber. “Thanks!” Holly called, winking my way. I gave her a thumbs up and returned to battle.

“Amber! Use the last of all your energy and put it into a Giga Impact, max power!” Holly called, taking a risky move. Amber wanted revenge, and without order, she shot to Torterra, a blinding light surrounding her on the way. “Torterra, hold your ground!” Gavin yelped, not able to call a move. “Meganium, use SolarBeam on Cyndaquil again, but this time, use the sunlight!” He ordered, pointing towards the holes in the roof. Sunny Day was activated since we had a view of the sun! That meant Meganium could fire its move in an instant! But it also meant that Fire Type moves’ power increased!

“Cyndi, use Flame Wheel!” I said as fast as possible. Further down the field, Amber smashed into Torterra with ear-crushing force, slamming it into a wall and causing the whole ground to shake. At the moment of impact, Meganium fired its SolarBeam, but the vibrations caught it off guard, sending the concentrated beam of Grass energy slightly off its mark. But Gavin needn’t worry about that, because Cyndi still hadn’t called upon her flames! Just before the flames enveloped her, Cyndi was thrown into the air, the SolarBeam having hit the ground a mere centimetre away. “Quuuil!” She yelped, plunging back to the ground.

“Meganium, use Take Down!” Gavin called. The foe’s Pokemon shot off at great speed, nearing Cyndi’s falling frame every second. And then, the inevitable. As Cyndi was metres from hitting the ground, Meganium’s head slammed into her, instantly knocking her out and sending her flying again. She shot to me at neck breaking speeds, but I was ready, catching her in my chest, her momentum almost knocking me off my stump.

Up at Gavin’s end, the dust settled and both Torterra and Amber were standing! Torterra was obviously seriously wounded, but Amber was worse for wear. After a whole ten seconds of huffing and grunting from both Pokemon, Amber’s knees keeled beneath her. She fell to the floor, the strain of battle taking its toll and knocking her out.

“Return!” Both me and Holly said to our Pokemon, thanking them just before. The score was even, Holly and I had both lost a Pokemon, leaving us with four. Gavin also now had four. This was obviously not going to be an easy match!

“Go, Piplup!”

“Hit them, Roxy!”

We called as we flung our next PokeBalls into the air. Piplup appeared in a bright light, accompanied by Holly’s newcomer, Roxy. Roxy was a very strong Houndoom, having a type advantage over the Grass Types. Gavin seemed impressed, instantly singling out my Piplup. “Torterra, Frenzy Plant on Piplup! Meganium, Take Down on Houndoom!” He ordered. Meganium started to run whilst vines appeared near Torterra’s feet.

“Roxy, use Flare Blitz to cut through the Frenzy Plant, then hit Meganium head-on!” Holly countered. Roxy encased itself in flame, running straight for Piplup. “When Roxy burns the vines, use Drill Peck on Torterra!” I called to my Pokemon. She turned and waved, showing she understood.

The Frenzy Plant shot forward, straight at Piplup, who started to spin her body into a spiral. In yet another perfect example of teamwork, Roxy cut through the vines just as they reached Piplup, killing them instantly. Piplup shot off fast, narrowly avoiding slashing Roxy’s tail with her beak. We had the timing exactly perfect! Gavin was dumbfounded, just content with staring at the Battlefield, open mouthed.

At the same time, Roxy over-powered Meganium, slamming it to the ground, and Piplup crashed its Drill Peck down onto Torterra’s head, sending it sliding across the grass. When the smoke and debris settled, Roxy was standing over a fallen Meganium and Piplup over Torterra. Holly and I jumped with excitement, and Gavin returned his Pokemon, thanking them as he did.

“Only two left, Gavin!” Holly taunted. “We’re really trimming you now!” She ended with the pun.

“Don’t worry!” Gavin smirked. “My last two are my best!”