Chapter 3 - Old Routines, New Troubles

I had a choice to make: Continue the search for my mother? Or save the region from Team Rocket? My mind chose quickly, if I didn't help Kanto, then my mother may become lost forever in the swarms of Pokemon. 

I told the professor my plans and Bonnie, Holly and I set off to Viridian City, hoping to find some clues as to Team Rocket's whereabouts. As we entered the lush, grass filled area of 'Route 1', memories started to flood back to me. Catching my very first Pidgey, using my first Potion, and being told not to enter without a Pokemon.  

I saw something Rustling up in the grass ahead, and at that point, my instincts took over. I dashed to the spot and a wild Tepig attacked! Just my luck, a Fire Type, no good for my Treecko. I reached to my belt for Treecko, but my sister interrupted me. "Aww! A Tepig! I've always wanted one!" She exclaimed. 

She pushed me aside and hurled her PokeBall into the air. "Emolga! Help me catch Tepig!"

Bonnie's Emolga gracefully swooped towards the wild Tepig, who hurriedly tried to attack with Ember. I proudly smiled as I heard my sister shout "Dodge it and use Thunder Bolt!"

Her streamlined Emolga took charge, deftly avoiding barrages of Ember attacks. The Tepig was dumbfounded, as was I. My sister was an amazing learner, but I'd never expected her to take control of a situation! Emolga let loose a beautiful bolt of thunder that hit the Tepig square in the face. "Yeah! Go get e'm!" Holly was cheering from beside me. Bonnie smiled and took a PokeBall from her bag, winked at me, then threw it at the paralysed Pokemon. The PokeBall seemed to float, suspended in space, before it rocketed into the Tepig's side. "Piiiiig!" It yelped as it entered the PokeBall. The ball hit the ground and shook, until the satisfying sound of a successful catch rang through the air. "Thanks Emolga! Return!" My sister declared as Emolga returned to it's PokeBall. 

"Sis... That was amazing!" I said as she walked back towards me. 

"Ah, spare me the soppiness! I only did what you taught me!" She replied.  

Something sparked inside of me then. My passion for battling had been re-awakened.  

Of course, I'd been level to that of Champion in every other region, but I started thinking that it was a distraction on my quest to find my mother.  

How could I have thought such a thing? I love to battle!

Later that day, we finished our inspection around Viridian City. Our search had ended up fruitless, and I needed to move on. We continued on into Viridian Forest, which seemed unusually quiet. I took a moment to admire the tall, green trees, standing high above the forest. "Wow! It's so pretty in here!" Holly exclaimed. Bonnie nodded in agreement. Just then, Holly's Riolu seemed to cringe with unbearable pain. "Luuu!" It screeched.  

"Riolu! What's wrong?" Holly asked, trying to calm the Pokemon down. I heard a rustle in the trees at that precise moment. Something was wrong. Very wrong. "Riolu says there's a psychic disturbance in this place!" Holly told me.  

"A Psychic...Disturbance?" I asked. And then there was an almighty BANG, as the trees seemed to quiver in fear. The very air seemed to ripple before my eyes, and the sound was unbearable. I shut my eyes tight for a few moments, and when I opened them, I saw a menacing figure standing over me. "Ha! Can't even stand an Uproar? Pathetic! I can't see why they chose you!" The figure cackled.

"W-what? Who are you? Who chose what?" I muttered.  

"My name is James, boy! You had better remember that name!" The man taunted. I glanced over my shoulder. It seemed that Bonnie, Holly and Riolu had all been knocked out by the blast. I was completely helpless. Well, not completely. "Did you cause that sound? Why?" I asked. 

"Foolish child! I already told you that was my Ce - Pokemon's Uproar attack! Don't you listen!?"

Of course, that question and answer was just a distraction.  

I had wormed my hand down to my pocket and grabbed Treecko's PokeBall. And I was now standing up. "Eurgh! G-go! Treecko!" I yelled. 

But unfortunately, this 'James' man had anticipated my move. "Attack!" He screamed into the air. I thought he had lost his mind!  

My Treecko Leapt at his face, fists ready. Suddenly, a creature of purest green emerged from the trees and unleashed a Psychic move on my Pokemon.  

Treecko was sent smashing into my stomach, knocking me over, and knocking me out.

The last thing I heard before I slipped away was:

"That was just a taste of my power! Next time, you won't be so lucky!"