Chapter 7 - From Flame To Inferno

Jamie and I continued our search through Mt. Moon, increasing our pace with every step. There were rocks everywhere, each one coated in some sort of glowing dew. “No... It couldn’t be?” I asked aloud. “That Pokemon didn’t swim all the way here, did it?”

Jamie just stared at me, as if to say, what? I shook my head and said: “Never mind.”

It was probably just regular dew anyway. Although... Stranger things have happened. As we ventured further into Mt. Moon, Jamie pointed out a wailing sound coming from somewhere. “Do you here that?” He asked. “It sounds like a Pokemon.”

So, we continued ever deeper, listening out for the cry all the way. Eventually, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but I could not pass through to the outside. Why? Because there was another Rocket Grunt blocking our path. He stared us down, trying to look menacing. But there was something about him, something strange. I noticed the wailing again. Looking around, I saw something by the Grunt’s feet. There, wrapped in the tightest of bonds, was a poor defenceless Cyndaquil. “You monster!” Jamie called out.

“Go, Charmeleo-“

“No!” I responded. “I'll teach this man the lesson he rightfully deserves!” Jamie understood, he slid his PokeBall back into his pocket and smirked as he watched the Grunt quake in fear. “N-no! Please! It’s not my fault, I swear!” Pleaded the Rocket Grunt. “I’m only f-following orders!”

I had no time for excuses. Anyone who harms an innocent Pokemon is an enemy in my book. I brought out a PokeBall, smiled briefly, and threw it through the air. “Go, Piplup!” I roared. The Grunt brought out his own PokeBall and meekly squeaked:

“Z-Zubat, go!”

Jamie almost died of laughter then. I shot him a silencing look as our Pokemon appeared before us on the battlefield. The foe’s Zubat seemed awfully uneasy. Piplup however was raring to go. She wanted to prove herself in her first battle. I made no hesitations, ordering an immediate Bubble attack. What ensued however was something much more powerful. I don’t know what brought it on - perhaps Piplup wanted Cyndaquil freed, or perhaps she was so psyched up for battle. What came out of her beak was a devastating Bubblebeam, shooting full pelt towards the Grunt’s Zubat. “Plllllluuuup!” My penguin friend screeched. “Um, er, quick! Dodge it!” The Grunt gargled. Unfortunately for him, it was too late. Piplup’s Bubblebeam smashed Zubat into a rock, causing it to faint instantly. “AH!” Screamed the Rocket Grunt. “Y-you can have the Pokemon! Just don’t hurt me!” He squeaked, returning his Zubat and running straight out of the mountain.

“Hey!” Jamie roared, chasing after him. I thanked Piplup for her great work and returned her to her PokeBall. As soon as I had done that, I focused on the helpless Pokemon tied up in the corner. Slowly, I crept up to it, smiling to show that I was friendly. I was surprised to find that it wasn’t crying anymore. The Cyndaquil let me untie her ropes, but that was it, after that, things got ugly. After untying her, I tried to hug the Cyndaquil. She wouldn’t have it. As soon as I laid a finger on her, she cried, sending searing hot flames shooting towards my face. I luckily managed to dive out of the way, holding my head in my hands. “QUIL!” The Pokemon screamed. I could see it in her eyes; she was filling up with fear. Cyndaquil started shaking violently, and I pounced towards her. I grabbed hold of her and screamed “STOP! I’m your friend!”

Cyndaquil went from raging hot, to cool in seconds. She turned to face me, smiling with delight. She started jumping on me, wanting to play. It seemed as though I’d tamed her by being nice. I brought out a PokeBall and smiled.

“Cynd! Cynda Cynda!” Was her response.

“I take that as a yes!” I declared, tapping the PokeBall on her head. There was no resistance at all, Cyndaquil was mine. “I think I’ll call you Cyndi”

I walked outside and was greeted by Jamie, who was looking anxious. “Toby! There you are! I’ve alerted the city and got us a boat. Look at the sky!”

So I did, and what I saw I couldn’t believe at first. It was the Team Rocket Balloon that Jamie told me about! His predictions were correct! It was moving incredibly slowly and had just drifted over the sea line. “Great! We may just be able to save them!” I said, excited. “Where’s the boat, then?”

Jamie pointed at the docks, and there was a small speedboat unchained. “Quick! Let’s go!” I said as I ran towards it.  I hopped in, Jamie close behind. He manned the engine whilst I stared at the Balloon above. “Cyndi, I need you!” I declared as I popped her PokeBall open and she appeared on deck. “Can you hit that Balloon’s cargo door with Ember, please?”

By now we were rocketing out to sea, just feet away from the balloon. Cyndi nodded and stood tall, summoning her power within. “You can do it!” I encouraged. And instead of Ember, a deadly Flamethrower attack shot out of her mouth. First Piplup, now Cyndaquil? Must be my lucky day! The Flamethrower seared straight through the Balloon’s cargo hold. A massive explosion followed, and smoke filled the air. “Return!” I called as Cyndi retreated back to her PokeBall. Moments later, Brock shot through the sky, speeding towards the waters below. “Brock!” Jamie spluttered over the wail of the engine.

“Grovyle! Save Brock!” I called, slinging His PokeBall into the air. Grovyle acted the moment he was released, shooting towards Brock at break-neck speeds, catching him and landing on dry-land. Good, that was Brock taken care of. What about Holly? Close inspection showed that Brock was holding Riolu and Holly’s PokeBalls, which meant that Holly was all alone! And then, I saw her, shooting to the water faster than Brock had been going, much faster. Grovyle was too far away, he couldn’t possibly make the jump in time. To my horror, Holly’s flight path was indicating that she would smash into a rock up ahead! “HIT IT!” I roared at Jamie, who immediately pushed the speed of the boat to as fast as it could possibly go. I thought quickly. That rock could cause Holly’s death, but it could also save her life...

As the boat shot past the rock, I leaped off, timing my jump as best I could. Holly was just a few feet above that rock, and she was falling fast. I brought my leg round and kicked it as I came close. It was the beginnings of a skid. I outstretched my arms, still skidding at a speed over the sea rock. Holly shot towards me so I quickly brought my arms together and jumped backwards off of my only platform.

Unbelievable. By some miracle, I had managed to clamp my arms around Holly’s waist just before jumping! We hit the water at an altogether reduced speed, lessening the damage done to us both. I swam back up to the surface, Holly in my arms. I broke the water and looked down. She was soaking wet, knocked unconscious, still alive! She was breathing heavily, slowly and steadily, showing that her lungs were fine. It was only then that I noticed the crowds gathered on the river banks. They were shouting something that was barely audible:

“Woooooooooo! Awesome!”