Chapter 29 - Rainy Day Heroes

Outside, the clouds had rolled in, an ugly shade of grey. To think, I'd woken up with the glorious sun rays on my face. The weather predicted a rainstorm, but inside the Gym, it was a fire storm. “Charizard, use Seismic Toss on Grovyle! Infernape, follow it up with Flare Blitz!” Aidan yelled.

“Spark, use Spark on Charizard!” Holly retaliated.

“Grovyle, dodge them both!” I called.

All four Pokemon reacted quickly, Charizard taking flight and homing in on Grovyle, Spark charging forward with an electric tackle, Infernape leaping into a fighting stance, and Grovyle preparing to move at the slightest indication of danger. Charizard was quickly closing the gap, wings causing whirlwinds. When it got close, Spark leaped at Charizard. Unfortunately, it had no effect. Before Spark even covered a metre, Charizard pushed him back with a thrust of its fist. “Spark!” Holly exclaimed. Her Pokemon rolled over and over, growling in disbelief when he came to a stop. Charizard was in Grovyle's face, claws outstretched. Grovyle made a smooth move, ducking low to avoid the attack, then slashing up with a Leaf Blade. Charizard faltered briefly, then started to circle in the air. “What!? Now, Infernape!” Aidan ordered, annoyed that he'd been foiled again.

“Spark, use Thunder Fang on Charizard!” Holly cheered, delighted to find her chance. Infernape was a terrifyingly fast Pokemon. It had already covered half of the distance, and blazing flames were surrounding its body. “Grovyle, be careful!” I just managed to warn my Pokemon before Infernape was upon him. Grovyle looked completely focused, and his arms were outstretched - he knew he had no hope of being fast enough to dodge the move. Just as Infernape leapt forward for a deadly blow, Grovyle's muscles relaxed. The ball of flame that was Infernape tore through thin air. Aidan's Pokemon stopped, flames extinguished. “Where did he go?” Aidan shouted into the air. I had no idea either. He had just seemed to have vanished! Meanwhile, Spark bore down on Charizard, slamming it into the floor and paralysing it.

Grovyle hit Infernape like a bullet. There was a flash that was barely visible for perhaps a micro-second, but it had definitely been there. It was Grovyle, moving so fast that the naked eye barely got a look in. He appeared from nowhere, shooting behind Infernape and clocking it in the chest. “No!” Aidan cried as his Pokemon was sent skidding across the floor. Grovyle landed without a sound, a faint after-image trailing behind him. “What was that...?” Nelly asked, leaning over the bar to get a better look.

“Agility. Grovyle used it to get round the back.” Jake explained. So Grovyle had learnt Agility! This also meant that his speed was raised slightly for the rest of the match. With this move, Grovyle was even faster than Infernape! “Gah, stand up!” Aidan yelled, clenching his fists. His two Pokemon rose again, letting out roars of determination.

“Spark, use Thunder Fang on Charizard again!” Holly called. Her Luxio sprang forward, once again flaring its fangs.

“Infernape, stop him with Flare Blitz!” Aidan roared. Infernape was now chasing after Spark, still at twice the speed. Grovyle had already started to move also, dashing forward to meet Infernape. “Stall it!” I ordered. Charizard was stood frigid, frozen by paralysis. Spark was upon it once again, sinking his teeth into its wing. Infernape closed in to help its team mate, but Grovyle skidded to a halt before its eyes. Infernape reacted quickly, taking a quick step backwards then swivelling to the left. Grovyle couldn't try to stop it again, otherwise he'd get burnt. “Spark, look out!” Holly called. Her Pokemon let go off Charizard's wing and attempted to leap to safety. Unfortunately, Infernape was too quick, and slammed into Spark's stomach, propelling him into the air. The electric lion hit the floor hard, covered in a hurtful spiral of flames. He started to stand slowly, but couldn't do it. Spark's knees buckled, and he fell to the floor. “Ah! Spark, well done!” Holly congratulated, pulling his PokeBall from her pocket. Holly returned her Pokemon and brought out another PokeBall. It was time for the powerhouse. Holly never messed around with this Pokemon. “Let's go, Amber!” She roared.