This Is War (New POV)

The road ahead was dark and dreary, a storm was approaching from over the mountains. My wife was slowly gathering all of the things she held dearly to her heart. Boxes of photo albums, the art work our grown kids had given to her through the years, old family treasures passed down from generations long ago. All of which was unnecessary and a waste of precious time.
"Amanda we don't have time or space for all of this junk. We need food and weapons that's all, there's no time for all of this nonsense."
She ignored me as usual and continued to pack her belongings in the back of our SUV, I finished tightening the gun belt around my waist and secured the loaded hand gun into the holster.
"Ok I'm ready!" She shouted shoving the last box of her things inside and shutting the trunk.
"The news channel said they were only a couple hours away Amanda we shouldn't have waisted so much time gathering such things! We have to get to the base and you know that they'll never let you keep all of that anyways." She huffed and turned to look out over the horizon one last time before I pulled out of the drive way and headed for the base set up by my boss.

We hadn't been given a warning or a seconds notice, captain James had called and requested all of the armed men nearby to gather at the boarder of West Virginia. Something was going down but he wouldn't speak a word of it over the phone. The road was empty as I made my way closer to the meet up where we would access just how many men and women we had to work with until the national guard could step in and take over. I pulled off to the side of the road just outside of the base camp they had set up.
"Take the car, go on to your mothers and I'll get Jerry to drive me over when this is all over. I love you, be safe." I stepped out of the car and made my way inside the tent, I heard the tires of my car turning against the gravels as she pulled back onto the road.

"Listen up, what we are facing today is no normal enemy! They will not hesitate and you cannot afford to do so. These things are not human, they cannot feel, they cannot care! They only hunger, and they hunger for you, your families, your wives husbands children your loved ones. This could be our last chance to put a stop to this nightmare and we cannot afford to lose this ground. These things are nothing more than the shells of the people they used to be and it is our duty to send them back to hell where they belong. We just need to keep them under control until scientist in Washington can confirm what disease this is and find a cure, but to do that we need to keep them at bay long enough to collect and study a couple samples. The entire world is depending on your actions tonight. Alright men. Remember: aim for the head, don't let them get too close, and whatever you do, don't die."

My feet seemed to be glued to this spot as they approached, my face burned with a fear so pure my heart beat like a drum inside of my chest. This is it. This is what I trained for all these years. I lifted the flare gun and signaled the rest of the men and women, warning them of the things approaching faster and faster. The rain poured down around me, thunder cracked in my ears, lightening blinded me for a mere second but that's all it took. They were upon us like a rabid beast devouring it's prey in the dead of night, their teeth ripping and tearing at the people I had known all my life. I lifted my gun and shot. And shot. And shot. For every one of them I killed another one took its place, then two, then three. It was as if there was a never ending sea of the horrid monsters, I couldn't keep up with the speed and agility of the beast. They were all around me, I could hear the panicked painful screams of my comrades, I could smell their blood tainting the night air. Guns blazed, bones snapped, teeth tore, nails ripped. Lighting flashed in my eyes, for a moment I was blinded, the air left my lungs as my back connected with the pavement. It was on top of me, my gun was a couple feet to my left. I held it back by the shoulders and raised my right leg, kicking it to the side into the bank. I rolled, retrieved my gun and scrambled to my feet, blood soaked my clothing, my mind raced, frantically I scanned the area for anyone still fighting. Jerry stood with his back pressed against a wall, surrounded by a dozen gnarling beast. He shot, one fell, another grabbed his arm, he wailed as its teeth sunk into his wrist. Another grabbed him on the opposite side, his gun fell to the ground, he screamed, his eyes met mine. Pure agony and absolute fear etched across his face as he fell to the ground. No one was left. Just me. Alone. I panicked. I ran full blast into the tree line and I didn't stop. I kept running until my legs gave out and my muscles ached, I ran until there was no where left to run. Then I sat there, in the middle of only god knows where.

Those things. Those monsters weren't human. They weren't disease ridden people in need of a cure, they were soulless, merciless, uncontrollable monsters. The only cure would be death. I raised my head and shouted into the sky, god has forsaken us. There cannot be a god if he would let such things rain down upon us, we are helpless and useless against monsters of this kind. I lifted my gun, placed it firmly against my head.
"Someone please find a way to stop this madness"
The light faded away.